Published on March 25th, 2017 | by William Charles456
BMO Harris $200 Checking Bonus – Available Nationwide & Online
Application page now clearly states it can be opened online, thanks to reader Todd.
A lot of us reported issues opening the Signature Card pdf during account opening requiring bank contact to mail a copy. Per BMO this is Google Chrome compatibility issue and should work fine in other browsers. You can fix this by using another browser or using this trick.
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $200
- Availability: Nationwide, can now be opened online
- Direct deposit required: Two direct deposits of $300+ required
- Additional requirements: None
- Hard/soft pull: Soft
- ChexSystems: Yes
- Credit card funding: Up to $1,000
- Monthly fees: $12, waivable
- Early account termination fee: $20 if closed within 90 days, you’ll also forfeit the bonus if you closed the account within six months.
- Expiration date: April 28th, 2017
- Household limit: None mentioned
- Receive a $200 bonus when you open a new BMO Harris everyday, select or portfolion checking account and complete the following requirements:
- Receive two qualifying direct deposits of at least $300 or more within 90 days of account opening
The Fine Print
- You must mention the promo code in the email sent to you at account opening and your account must be open and in good standing when the bonus is paid approximately 120 days after opening.
- Not available to existing BMO Harris personal checking customers (including signers on joint accounts) or those who have closed a BMO Harris personal checking account within the past 12 months.
- To receive the bonus:
- 1) Open a new BMO Harris Smart MoneyTM Account, BMO Harris Everyday Checking®, BMO Harris Select Checking® or BMO Harris Portfolio Checking® account between February 19, 2017 and April 28, 2017 in a BMO Harris Branch, by calling 1-866-362-1166, or by clicking “open now” above.We’ll automatically apply the $200 offer promo code when you apply online
- 2) Have at least two direct deposits of any combination of a paycheck, pension payment, Social Security payment, or other government benefits payment of $300 or more each electronically deposited into the account from an employer or outside agency within 90 days of opening. We reserve the right to request documentation that the direct deposits qualify.
- Cash bonus is not considered part of the opening deposit and will be reported to the IRS for tax purposes. You are responsible for any applicable taxes. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer, is non-transferable and is limited to one per account.
Your best option is to open the BMO Harris Everyday Checking ($10 monthly fee), the monthly fee is waived if you meet any of the following requirements:
- You have Incoming External Deposits into this account totaling $500 or more during the statement period
- The minimum daily balance is $1,000 or more
- You’re a college student and you request a fee waiver. This will result in the account being fee free for a period of four years
- Your BMO Harris Select Checking® account meets its $10,000 minimum Combined Balance requirement, and you have requested we link this account to your BMO Harris Select Checking account to receive benefits under Relationship Waiver. (Monthly maintenance fee waiver is limited to one (1) BMO Harris Everyday Checking account.)
- Your BMO Harris Portfolio Checking® account meets its $25,000 minimum Combined Balance requirement, and you have requested we link this account to your BMO Harris Portfolio Checking account to receive benefits under Relationship Waiver. (Monthly maintenance fee waiver is limited to a total of two (2) BMO Harris Everyday Checking accounts.)
- Your Wealth Checking account meets its $25,000 minimum Average Daily Balance requirement, and you have requested we link this account to your Wealth Checking account to receive benefits under Relationship Waiver. (Monthly maintenance fee waiver is limited to a total of two (2) BMO Harris Everyday Checking accounts.)
Early Account Termination Fee
There is an early account termination fee of $20 if the account is closed within 90 days. In addition the account needs to be open at the time the bonus posts (within 120 days). You also need to keep it open for six months or the bonus will be forfeited (this might not be the case anymore).
This bonus is significantly better now that you can open online rather than having to deal with a phone or in branch application. They have offered a bonus as high as $250 before, but I don’t know if we will see that again. We’re going to move this up much higher on our best bonus list due to the online application and the fact that it can be churned (just can’t have had an account open in the last 12 months).
Big thanks to reader, Josh who let us know. Please consider sharing bank bonuses with this site so we can make it even better.
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank