Published on October 19th, 2016 | by William Charles6
The Children’s Place Credit Card Review (Issued By Comenity) – Up To 10% Off
The Children’s Place credit card issued by Comenity Bank has just been launched (full list of Comenity cards can be found here). In this review we will see if holding this card makes any sense at all, or if there are better options out there. Calling this a credit card is actually a bit disingenuous as the card can only be used at The Children’s Place stores in the U.S. and Puerto Rico and online at childrensplace.com.
- Card earns 2 points per $1 spent (at The Children’s Place stores in the U.S. and Puerto Rico and online at childrensplace.com)
- 100 points = $5 reward certificate (must have valid e-mail address on file or be registered in their rewards program)
- 30% off your first purchase^
- 20% off when you get your card^
- 25% off for your kids’ birthdays (limit of four kids Birthdays and must register online at childrensplace.com/rewards)
- Free standard shipping every day (no code needed, valid on standrd shipping)
^ Cannot be used toward the purchase of gift cards, previously purchased merchandise, or licensed and third party branded products online. You also cannot use it towards any online site-wide percentage off event or in a closing store. The discount will apply after any other discounts and before taxes and shipping fees.
There is one thing I’m slightly confused on, standard rewards members earn 1x point per $1 spent and cardholders earn 2x points per $1 spent. It doesn’t look like these stack, so actually the credit card is only offering you an extra 1x point per $1 spent. If that’s the case you’re basically getting a 5% return on The Children’s Place purchases (rather than 10%). At the moment you can purchase The Children’s Place gift cards for a 13.5% discount, so you’d likely be better off doing that than using this card.
The other benefits are OK, but the fact they can’t be used during a site-wide sale (apart from the free shipping) will limit their usefulness. If it turns out that you earn a total of 3x points per $1 spent with this credit card, then you’re basically getting 15% returned in the form of the Children’s Place gift cards and that’s a pretty good deal if you shop there frequently. I still think most people would be better off with a credit card with a high sign up bonus. It’s also possible that the shopping cart trick will work for this card, let us know about that in the comments.