Published on August 3rd, 2016 | by William Charles39
Sprint Lets Existing & New Customers Earn American Airline Miles & Why It Can Be A Bad Idea
Reposting this because Sprint has been sending out mail outs about this offer. This post was originally posted back in February of 2016.
Sprint has teamed up with American Airlines to let new and existing customs earn American Airline miles. Here’s the break down:
- New customers will earn 20,000 American Airline miles paid out in a lump sum
- Existing customers will earn 417 miles per month can be earned for a total of up to 5,004 miles after 12 months
The Fine Print
- Sprint account holder must register at www.sprint.com/AAdvantage with AAdvantage® number to participate in the Offer.
- Sprint account must remain active and in good standing for 30 days to earn miles.
- AAdvantage® account name and Sprint account name must match to be eligible and account must have at least one phone active on the account.
- Miles are earned per account, not per subscriber.
- The offer is not combinable with the Sprint Discount Program. The SDP discount does not apply.
- Allow 8-10 weeks after registration for miles to be added to your AAdvantage® account.
20,000 New Account Bonus
- New Sprint account must register within 30 days of new line activation.
- Adding or transferring a new line of service to an existing Sprint account does not make the account eligible for 20,000 miles award. Existing Sprint accounts are only eligible for the Sprint Monthly Loyalty niles offer.
- 20,000 miles are deposited in one award.
- Only one 20,000 miles award per AAdvantage® member.
- Only one 20,000 miles award per new Sprint account.
- New Sprint accounts qualifying for 20,000 miles offer can also earn monthly Loyalty miles as long as they participate in the offer and remain active and in good standing.
5,000 Monthly Miles
- If an existing Sprint customer chooses to participate in the offer and they currently participate in the Sprint Discount Program, the SDP discount will be removed.
- Loyalty miles earned are awarded monthly. An award of 417 miles per month can be earned for a total of up to 5,004 miles after 12 months when the account remains active and in good standing.
As we said in the title, for most people this won’t be a good deal. The reason being that enrolling in this excludes you from the Sprint Discount Program. Most people will find that they are able to save well over $5 per month by being enrolled in this, meaning you’d effectively be purchasing your miles for more than 1¢ per point.
The new user bonus might be more interesting, as I can’t find any new user bonuses of $200+ (this one is for $100 and eBates offers up to $187.50). Let me know your thoughts about this new partnership in the comments.
Hat tip to TPG