Published on June 14th, 2015 | by Chuck4
3x/4x Gas Points on Merchant Gift Cards at Stop & Shop/Giant
We just got finished with 3x gas points on Visa gift cards at Stop&Shop/Giant. Now they’re offering a Father’s Day deal of 3 or 4 times gas points on merchant gift cards.
Direct Link Giant (page 6)
- Purchase any third-party merchant gift cards sold at Stop&Shop and receive 4x gas points on the purchase.
Direct Link Stop&Shop (page 6)
- Purchase any third-party merchant gift cards sold at Stop&Shop and receive 3x gas points on the purchase.
The Fine Print
- Offer valid from 6/12/15 – 6/22/15 (eleven days total).
- Must use Stop&Shop/Giant rewards card in order to get the points (and to redeem them as well).
Stop&Shop/Giant sell a wide variety of gift cards, including eBay, Amazon, Best Buy and gas gift cards (I think). Ebay gift cards are the one that excites me the most ($25-$500 denomination), but most people should be able to find something worthwhile, whether it’s indeed a Father’s Day present or just for personal use.
Personally, I’d try to hit this one as much as I could if not for the fact that I’m loaded with gas points from last week’s Visa deal. Since the points expire after 30 days, I’ll probably buy one tank worth of gift cards so that I can get one more fillup free after my points from the last deal expire. I’ll buy eBay gift cards which can then be used to purchase lots of things on eBay, including discounted gift cards. You can also use the NBA 5x card while it’s still earning 5x rewards in order to maximize that offer as well.
Be sure to maximize the deal by using a card that earns bonus points at supermarkets, such as Amex Blue Cash, Amex Everyday and so many more. See Best Credit Card For Grocery Store Purchases.
Gas points deals are now widely available nationwide. Aside from this Stop&Shop/Giant deal, there’s also 4x fuel points on gift cards at Kroger along with its affiliated stores and there are offers showing up for many at Safeway for 4x fuel points.
Basic Details: Every 100 points gets you 10¢ off per gallon at Shell, up to 35 gallons. If you have 1000 points, you’ll get $1 off. If you have 2200 points, you’ll get $2.20 off per gallon.
- Max discount in some areas is $2.20. In other areas there is no max.
- You have 30 days to use the points.
- Points must be used nearby your store location – they can’t be used at a Shell far away from home.
- See this post and the FAQ for more details. Some of the details vary by area and store.
Since gas prices currently hover around $2.90 per gallon, your gas will be $.70 (or free in some areas).
Pro tip: use a Shell gift card and you’ll usually get the cash price. Those who are good at math will realize why it’s especially worthwhile to use a Shell gift card or cash when using fuel points.
- Giant: Suppose you want to get one tank of gas out of this deal – you can purchase $550 in eBay, Shell, Best Buy or any other gift card and receive 2200 points. You’ll then get $2.20 off a tank of gas, which can be worth as much as $77 if you fill up the 35-gallon max. This will amount to around a 14% discount on the cost of the gift cards, besides whatever credit card points you’ll earn.
- Stop&Shop: Suppose you want to get one tank of gas out of this deal – you can purchase $734 in gift cards to get the 2200 points. You’ll then get $2.20 off a tank of gas, which can be worth as much as $77 if you fill up the 35-gallon max. This will amount to around a 10% discount on the cost of the gift cards, besides whatever credit card points you’ll earn.