Published on May 28th, 2019 | by Chuck60
[Expired] $50 Bonus for Opening a 529 Plan with ScholarShare [5/28-5/31]
Update 5/26/19: Deal is back for Scholarshare again. Valid from May 28th until May 31st. Hat tip to reader Yosk
Update 11/30/18: Looks like the deal will return for December 5th – December 12th. So far we’ve only been able to find a working link for ScholarShare. Hat tip to reader Superman.
Update: Added Ideal and FL Prepaid offers.
In honor of “5/29 day”, various 529 plans are offering a special bonus for those opening a new 529 plan:
- Open a 529 plan with ScholarShare with $50 and get a $50 match
- Open a 529 plan with Virginia529 with $50 and get a $50 match
- Open a 529 plan with Ideal Idaho with $25 and get a $25 match
- Open a 529 plan with Florida Prepaid with $25 and get a $25 match
The Fine Print
- These offers are available nationwide
- ScholarShare is through June 1, and Virginia529 is through May 31
Being that these two are offering a similar bonus, there may be similar bonuses elsewhere. I’m not familiar with the ins and outs of college plans and their tax affect – please do your own research before deciding whether to open one and which plan to choose. (People who get a state tax deduction to contribute to their own plan in their own state should do that first.)
Regardless, it could be a nice bonus for someone saving for college who was planning to open a 529 plan anyway.
Hat tip to readers Misha and to Jeffery who notes that you can open multiple accounts by having the beneficiary and account owner combination be different