Published on April 22nd, 2019 | by William Charles33
A List Of Churnable Bank Account Bonuses
In this post we will look at bank account bonuses that are churnable (can be completed more than once). I’ve split the list into nationwide bonuses and state specific bonuses, this is by no means a comprehensive list, but I’ll add to it as I see new opportunities arise. In addition we will list the official churnable rules and also if they are churnable more often than what is listed.
Please make sure you always check the fine print of each offer, as they sometimes vary offer to offer. It’s always clearly spelled out in the fine print what the rules are.
- 1 Nationwide
- 2 State Specific
- 2.1 Bank & Trust
- 2.2 BB&T – AL, DC, FL, GA, IN, KY, MD, NC, OH, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV
- 2.3 BMO Harris – AZ, FL, IL, IN, KS, MO, MN and WI
- 2.4 Citizens Bank – MI & OH, CT, DE, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, and VT
- 2.5 Fifth Third – FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, MI, NC, OH, TN, WV
- 2.6 First Tennessee – AL, AR, GA, KY, MS, NC, TN, VA (Varies By Bonus)
- 2.7 M&T Bank – CT, DC, DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA, WV
- 2.8 Regions Bank – AL, AR, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KY, LA, MS, MO, NC, SC, TN & TX
- 2.9 SunTrust – AL, AR, FL, GA, MD, MS, NC, SC, TN, WV, VA, and D.C
- 2.10 VantageWest – AZ Only
Bank of America
Can’t have had an account within the last six months:
- This offer is intended for new checking customers only; you are not eligible for this offer if you were a signer on or owner of a Bank of America personal checking account within the last six (6) months.
The official rule is that you can “You can receive only one new checking and one new savings account opening related bonus every two years from the last enrollment date and only one bonus per account.” Previously this was once every calendar year, it looks like the new rule is not back dated, for more information on that read this post here.
Can’t have received a bonus in the last 12 months, or been an account holder in the last 90 days
- New account will not be eligible for offer if any signer has signing authority on an existing PNC Bank consumer checking account or has closed an account within the past 90 days, or has been paid a promotional premium in the past 12 months.
Can’t have received a bonus from U.S. Bank in the last 12 months:
- Offer is not valid if you or any signer on the account has an existing U.S. Bank consumer checking account, had a U.S. Bank consumer checking account in the last six months, or received other U.S. Bank bonus offers within the past 12 months (limit 1 bonus per customer).
Bank & Trust
This bank have terms that say bonus is not available to “customers or those who had accounts open on or before <specific date that changes>”. According to this comment that is not enforced.
BB&T – AL, DC, FL, GA, IN, KY, MD, NC, OH, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV
Can’t have an existing account or have closed an account since a specific time, for example the current fine print reads:
- You must be a new BB&T personal checking client and must not have closed a BB&T personal checking account since March 15, 2018
BMO Harris – AZ, FL, IL, IN, KS, MO, MN and WI
Can’t be an existing account holder or have closed an account within the past 12 months. Fine print reads:
- Offer is not available to existing BMO Harris personal checking customers (including signers on joint accounts) or those who have closed a BMO Harris personal checking account within the past 12 months.
Citizens Bank – MI & OH, CT, DE, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, and VT
These accounts are churnable, the fine print says the following:
- Primary signer on the new checking account may not be or have been a primary or secondary signer on any personal checking account within the previous six months
Fifth Third – FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, MI, NC, OH, TN, WV
Account needs to have been closed for more than 12 months before the bonus can be done again
- Offer not available to existing checking or Express Banking customers or to those with a Fifth Third Checking or Express Banking account that has been closed within the last 12 months.
First Tennessee – AL, AR, GA, KY, MS, NC, TN, VA (Varies By Bonus)
Can’t have had an opened account in the last 12 months (this is on a household basis).
- This offer is for new checking households, or for households who have not had an open First Tennessee consumer checking account in the previous 12 months. Customer agrees to maintain account in good standing for a minimum of 6 months.
M&T Bank – CT, DC, DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA, WV
This account used to be highly churnable, but that is no longer the case. Now you can’t receive the bonus if you’ve had an account open in the past 12 months:
- Cash bonus offers are not available to employees of M&T Bank or any of its affiliates or to customers who have already received a bonus in connection with an M&T personal checking account within the preceding twelve-month period.
Regions Bank – AL, AR, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KY, LA, MS, MO, NC, SC, TN & TX
Can’t have had an account within a specific time, for example in a recent offer it stated:
- does not apply if you have or had an ownership interest in a Regions checking account on or after January 2, 2018
Usually it’s one year before the promotion started, e.g the above promotion started on January 2nd, 2019.
SunTrust – AL, AR, FL, GA, MD, MS, NC, SC, TN, WV, VA, and D.C
These accounts are churnable, here are the rules:
- Cannot be an existing account holder (primary or secondary)
- Must not have had an open account (primary or secondary) in the past 180 days
- There is also an early account termination fee of $25 if the account is closed within 6 months
Basically can do these bonuses once every year, slightly more often if you pay the early account termination fee but typically it’s not worth it as you also need to wait awhile for the bonus to post.
VantageWest – AZ Only
The official terms state:
- Promotion offered only for new checking accounts and credit cards and does not apply to increases, conversions or re-opening of a closed account or credit card. Certain restrictions may apply.
According to this comment this is not enforced.