In this post we will look at bank account bonuses that are churnable (can be completed more than once). I’ve split the list into nationwide bonuses and state specific bonuses, this is by no means a comprehensive list, but I’ll add to it as I see new opportunities arise. In addition we will list the official churnable rules and also if they are churnable more often than what is listed.
Please make sure you always check the fine print of each offer, as they sometimes vary offer to offer. It’s always clearly spelled out in the fine print what the rules are.
- 1 Nationwide
- 2 State Specific
- 2.1 Atlantic Union Bank – VA, MD, NC
- 2.2 Bank & Trust
- 2.3 BMO Harris – AZ, FL, IL, IN, KS, MO, MN and WI
- 2.4 Citizens Bank – MI & OH, CT, DE, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, D.C., and VT
- 2.5 Fifth Third – FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, MI, NC, OH, TN, WV
- 2.6 Investors Bank – NJ & NY
- 2.7 M&T Bank – CT, DC, DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA, WV
- 2.8 Regions Bank – AL, AR, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KY, LA, MS, MO, NC, SC, TN & TX
- 2.9 Santander NH, MA, RI, CT, DE, NY, NJ, PA, or FL
- 2.10 TD Bank – CT, DC, DE, FL, MD, ME, MA, NC, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, SC, VT, & VA
- 2.11 Truist – AL, AR, GA, FL, IN, KY, MD, MS, NC, NJ, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV or DC
- 2.12 VantageWest – AZ Only
- 2.13 WinTrust
- 3 Non Churnable Accounts
Bank of America
Can’t have had an account within the last six months:
- This offer is intended for new checking customers only; you are not eligible for this offer if you were a signer on or owner of a Bank of America personal checking account within the last six (6) months.
The official rule is that you can “You can receive only one new checking and one new savings account opening related bonus every two years from the last enrollment date and only one bonus per account.” Previously this was once every calendar year, it looks like the new rule is not back dated, for more information on that read this post here.
Fairwinds Credit Union
The referred individual may not have previously been an owner on or a party to a FAIRWINDS account
This is enforced:
- Cannot churn: 1,
Terms don’t state anything, but might be possible according to this datapoint (one year wait and change of address)
Can’t have received a bonus in the last 24 months, or been an account holder in the last 90 days
- New account will not be eligible for offer if any signer has signing authority on an existing PNC Bank consumer checking account or has closed an account within the past 90 days, or has been paid a promotional premium in the past 24 months.
Can’t have received a bonus from U.S. Bank in the last 12 months:
- Offer is not valid if you or any signer on the account has an existing U.S. Bank consumer checking account, had a U.S. Bank consumer checking account in the last six months, or received other U.S. Bank bonus offers within the past 24 months (limit 1 bonus per customer).
Wings Financial Credit Union
- Not churnable: 1,
Atlantic Union Bank – VA, MD, NC
Churnable according to this comment.
Bank & Trust
This bank have terms that say bonus is not available to “customers or those who had accounts open on or before <specific date that changes>”. According to this comment that is not enforced.
BMO Harris – AZ, FL, IL, IN, KS, MO, MN and WI
Can’t be an existing account holder or have closed an account within the past 12 months. Fine print reads:
- Offer is not available to existing BMO Harris personal checking customers (including signers on joint accounts) or those who have closed a BMO Harris personal checking account within the past 12 months.
Citizens Bank – MI & OH, CT, DE, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, D.C., and VT
These accounts are churnable, the fine print says the following:
- Primary signer on the new checking account may not be or have been a primary or secondary signer on any personal checking account within the previous six months
Fifth Third – FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, MI, NC, OH, TN, WV
Account needs to have been closed for more than 12 months before the bonus can be done again
- Offer not available to existing checking or Express Banking customers or to those with a Fifth Third Checking or Express Banking account that has been closed within the last 12 months.
Investors Bank – NJ & NY
Is churnable according to this datapoint.
M&T Bank – CT, DC, DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA, WV
This account used to be highly churnable, but that is no longer the case. Now you can’t receive the bonus if you’ve had an account open in the past 12 months:
- Cash bonus offers are not available to employees of M&T Bank or any of its affiliates or to customers who have already received a bonus in connection with an M&T personal checking account within the preceding twelve-month period.
Regions Bank – AL, AR, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KY, LA, MS, MO, NC, SC, TN & TX
Can’t have had an account within a specific time, for example in a recent offer it stated:
- does not apply if you have or had an ownership interest in a Regions checking account on or after January 2, 2018
Usually it’s one year before the promotion started, e.g the above promotion started on January 2nd, 2019.
Santander NH, MA, RI, CT, DE, NY, NJ, PA, or FL
Offer is not available if any account owner is a current checking customer of Santander or had a Santander checking account in the last 12 months prior to account opening.
TD Bank – CT, DC, DE, FL, MD, ME, MA, NC, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, SC, VT, & VA
Says you can’t be an existing or previous account holder but one reader was able to get two bonuses two years apart.
Truist – AL, AR, GA, FL, IN, KY, MD, MS, NC, NJ, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV or DC
Terms clearly state the exclusion periods, for example:
VantageWest – AZ Only
The official terms state:
- Promotion offered only for new checking accounts and credit cards and does not apply to increases, conversions or re-opening of a closed account or credit card. Certain restrictions may apply.
According to this comment this is not enforced.
Non Churnable Accounts
discover is non-churnable correct?
Yes, not churnable.
South State Bank is churnable. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ga-nc-sc-south-state-bank-100-checking-bonus-direct-deposit-not-required/
The listing for Ciizens Bank needs updating to reflect that they’re present in (and offering accounts to residents of) DC.
Key Bank (CO) has recently offered $300 to open a checking account & deposit $1000 within 60 days of opening. Current terms are that one cannot have opened another account in the past year.
Should Huntington Bank be added to the state specific list of churnable accounts?
It appears Capital One bank account bonuses are also not churnable if you’ve gotten one in the last few years. The fine print reads “ineligible if prior account opened after 1/1/2019” on their latest offer.
I think that First Tennessee and SunTrust no longer exist, at least in NC. They were bought by other banks. I used to have a accounts at both.
Correct. First Horizon and Truist. William Charles Chuck BB&T needs to be changed as well.
William Charles Great post! I’ve kept one M&T account open for years and received the bonus on new accounts. Maybe change the language to:
Now you can’t receive the bonus if you’ve RECEIVED A BONUS in the past 12 months.
Any idea if monifi is churnable?
Matthew J Cottrill I received the bonus twice.
@Wayne how long did you wait before redoing?
Edit: and thanks for data point!
Matthew J Cottrill I was over a year. We had moved, so new address might have helped?
Comerica Bank is churnable too. They don’t have terms against churning. Or, not yet.