Update 3/3/23: Deal is coming back beginning Sunday March 5th and through April 8th, 2023. Here is the ad link.
- Get a coupon for $40 off a $40 qualifying purchase when you are approved for a debit or credit REDcard in-stores and at Target.com.
The Fine Print
- RedCard $40 offer: Get a coupon for $40 off a qualifying purchase over $40 when you are approved for a debit or credit RedCard™ in-stores and at Target.com between 11/1/20-12/26/20.
- The coupon will be mailed to approved cardholders with their RedCard and will be valid through 1/31/21.
- Excludes items sold & shipped by Target Plus™ Partners, alcohol, Apple products, Baby Alive Grow Up Baby, Barbie Dreamhouse & Camper, Bose, Cards Against Humanity, Casper, The Child action figure, CVS clinic & pharmacy, Cricut, dairy milk, DockATot, Disney Frozen Castle, DSLR cameras & lenses, Elf on the Shelf, Elvie, Fitbit, gift cards, Google, HALO Baby, Hasbro Games (Classic Monopoly, Connect Four, Jenga, Rubik’s Cube, Sorry, Trouble), Hot Wheels Ultimate Garage, HP, Imaginext Batcave, Infant Optics, JBL, LEGO, Levi’s Red Label, LG OLED TV, limited-time designer partnerships, Little People Rampway, L.O.L. House & Collector, Mega Bloks, mobile contracts, Motrin pain relief, NERF Ultra, Nintendo hardware and Switch games, Polder, Poo-Pourri, Peg Perego, Philips Avent, power shave, power dental, Harry’s and Flamingo, prepaid cards, PS4 hardware, Samsung TVs, simplehuman, Sonos, Sony Electronics, Target Optical, Traeger, Tylenol pain relief, Weber, What Do You Meme? and Xbox One hardware.
- Update 12/30/22: Deal is back and valid 1/1/2023 – 1/14/2023
- Update 8/6/22: Deal is back and valid from 8/7/22-8/27/22.
- Update 4/3/22: Deal is back and valid until 4/3/2022-4/16/2022.
- Update 1/2/22: Deal is back from 1/2–1/15. Hat tip to Amber
- Update 5/2/21: Deal is back for May 2nd through May 29th. (ht Loren and ieatdogfood)
- Update 3/7/21: Deal is back for March 7th through April 3rd. Hat tip to reader Yaro
This is a regular offer and one of the best offered for REDcard, previous offers can be viewed here. Sometimes we see $50 off, but that requires $100 in spend. Sometimes you can also get $4 via Swagbucks as well but not currently available. There is no hard pull for the debit card or reloadable card.
Also note, the $40 coupon works both in-store and online (twice) for $80 off total. Also, you can apply for each version and get $40 for each, e.g. apply for the debit and reloadable (not hard pull for either) and get $160 total.
I currently have the debit card. How soon after cancelation can I reapply?
Next day. Make sure they did close it.
DP: Got both cards in early December last year, closed in early February. Applied today, got approved for debit, but declined for the reloadable.
DP: I was approved for the debit, but declined for the reloadable. Looks like different backing banks. I have many CHEX inquirys maybe that is why the rolad bank declined me.
Any chance of getting approved for Target Reloadable if my driver’s license does not match where I live?
I moved out of state and I assume they verify by somehow accessing your driver’s license. With Debit I give my Driver
s License address and say mail to my new address and always get approved for me, my wife, and my cousin. This time I did reloadable and all three of us were rejected. I assume since I only put in my new address which does not match my driver’s license.
It’s ok, I had reloadable in the same situation.
Does Target no longer give free shipping when using this? I just tried and it wants $5.99 for shipping.
same here; had ths several months ago & it took several months for Target to fix it
I added $2 more stuff (previously right at $40) AND used my target red card – came out back to free.
on 3-17-23 the $5.99 shipping after adding the $40 off coupon. I was paying the .$026 over $40 with a target gift card & still had the $5.99 shipping fee.
same 3-18-23 on a 40.00-40cpn order;
If anyone can get free shipping after adding the $40 cpn & without paying excess with debit or credit crad, pls post
The trick is to find the same products for store pickup.
Pickup the items first and finish the 2nd use of promo code during the same visit. Can confirm this works.
Hi fellow churners, what are you buying with the coupons? My first time applying and got approved for both. Will apply for P2 as well.
Grocery, household essentials, kids clothes, items from pharmacy aisle, etc. It’s easier to find things that you might need/want by walking down the store rather than browsing online.
Always use these to stock up on household essentials (Detergent, TP, Paper Towels, Toothpaste etc.) In fact I’ve been told not to buy anymore detergent as we have about a year’s supply. Ha!
Yep, got detergent in the shopping cart. Maybe a lifetime supply of floss. I’m thinking essentials, longest shelf-life possible.
How long from previous application date for reloadable (closed soon after receiving) do I need to wait to apply for reloadable now? tia
How long from previous application date for reloadable (my first was approved ~1-6-2023 & I closed soon after receiving it) do I need to wait to apply for reloadable now? tia
We don’t know about the reloadable yet – it’s too new. It’s possible it’s 3 months, but it might be once the calendar changes years. It’s too new to have solid DP’s. The only thing we know for sure is that it reset when the year changed to 2023.
DP: applied for 1st ever reloadable ~1-6-2023, immediately approved; closed 2-6-2023.
Applied for 2nd RedCard Reloadable Account 3-16-2023:
However, we’re unable to approve you for an Account at this time. We appreciate your interest in RedCard Reloadable Account.
I use coupon in store first then it said code already applied when try to use it online.
We cant double use no more?
Someone successfully used a coupon twice by shopping online first then in store. I wonder if order matters. It seems to make sense to shop online first to avoid any problems. At least in store you can get help from someone. I’m not willing to be the dp for this one. 🙂
Always do the online first and then the in-stores 2nd.
Just to confirm, it’s currently 90 days since last opening in order to reopen another card, correct?
I opened my last debit card back in the first week of January and closed it a bit more than a month ago, just applied last week and once again last night, both times declined
And to makes things worse all my applications for reloadable one come back with the “bad news…” message, even though I have never had it
It’s becoming a bit of a pain to cancel these becaues the supervisors asks “you’ve had 3 of these already”
Don’t enter your SSN when calling, just use the last 4 on the debit card you want to close. I think they just see the card, rather than your full history.
I close the card a week ago or so so I don’t remember exactly but I think their phone system requires entering last 4 of SSN.