Published on August 15th, 2018 | by William Charles37
Marriott Travel Packages Update: No More Upgrades/Downgrade, Extensions, Points Back & More
I know some of you are sick of the Marriott travel package updates/saga but SPG Lurker (an official spokesperson) just answered a bunch of questions and I think they are worth mentioning.
- Travel package certificates expiring during the blackout period may be extended upon request.
- We will convert existing certificates to similarly valued categories after 8/18. Members who know their travel plans should make reservations prior to 8/18. You will not be able to modify your certificate for an existing reservation or attach it to a new one 8/18-9/18.
- Members will be able to cancel and get points back at a reduced amount.
- After 8/18, certificates cannot be upgraded or downgraded, regardless of when they were purchased.
- If you have an existing Travel Package and would like to use for a SPG hotel, you will need to wait until after 9/18. Or, you can redeem points for a new Travel Package under the new program starting 8/18, including SPG hotels.
- Between 8/18 and 9/18, you can cancel a Travel Package reservation, but you will not be able to rebook until after 9/18.
Considering they are saying you’ll be able to cancel and get points back at a reduced amount, we can deduct that the certificates won’t be automatically converted to points. That was always wishful thinking in my opinion. It’s annoying they won’t allow packages to be upgraded or downgrade anymore as well.