Update 9/2/23: Deal is back for 2023
- ScholarShare is offering a bonus of $100 when you open a new 529 Plan account with $1,000+
The Fine Print
- The ScholarShare 529 College Savings Plan (“ScholarShare 529”) is a 529 college savings plan administered by the ScholarShare Investment Board (“SIB”), an instrumentality of the state of California, and managed by TIAA-CREF Tuition Financing, Inc. (“TFI”).
- To receive a $100 matching deposit (“the Matching Deposit”), eligible individuals must open a new ScholarShare 529 account (for a new beneficiary) online at www.ScholarShare529.com between September 1, 2019 at 12:01 AM Pacific Time (PT) and September 30, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT with an initial deposit of at least $1,000 to be contributed and invested at the time the new ScholarShare 529 account is opened.
- The initial $1,000 deposit must be received within 10 business days after the account is established.
- The Matching Deposit will be made to the eligible ScholarShare 529 account on or before 11:59 PM PT on January 15, 2020. Limit: one (1) Matching Deposit per new ScholarShare 529 account per unique accountholder/beneficiary combination.
- Offer open to legal residents of the 50 states of the United States who are at least 18 years of age or older as of September 1, 2019 and have a social security number or federal taxpayer
identification number and excludes the following: (a) members, officers, and employees of SIB; TFI and its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, owners, members, directors, managers, officers, employees, trustees, agents; and their respective immediate family members (spouse, domestic partner, parents, legal guardians, grandparents, grandchildren, siblings, children and “step” of each) and those individuals living in their same household; and (b) FINRA affiliated customers.
- All taxes and other costs associated with this promotion are solely the responsibility of the recipient and/or beneficiary. Beneficiary for the new ScholarShare 529 account cannot be a beneficiary of an existing ScholarShare 529 account for that account owner.
We’ve seen a similar deal before, but that was for $50. Upside was that only required a $50 deposit. This is a bigger bonus but requires a much larger deposit. Chuck & I aren’t the people to ask when it comes to these college plans, so make sure you do your own research first.