Update 8/29/22: There is a link with $750 in spend (though there is one mention of $1,500 in the fine print there as well)
(Update 8/28/22: Spend requirement has increased from $750 to $1,500. Same $200/20,000 bonus. hat tip JigglyJello1)
Citi launches today the Citi Custom Cash card which earns 5x cashback/Thankyou points per $1 spent on up to $500 in spend per month in your top spend category and has no annual fee. Card has $200/20,000 points signup bonus.
- Signup bonus of $200 after you spend $750 within the first 3 months.
Bonus is not available if you received one for opening a new Citi Custom Cash Card account in the past 48 months.
- No annual fee
- Card earns 5% cash back/points on your top spend category of the month, up to $500 in spend ($25 cashback) per month. Categories include things like Grocery, Dining, or Travel and more. Category adjust automatically to your top category each month – no need to enroll or to select your top category. You’ll be able to see your top category in the Citibank mobile app.
- The top eligible spend categories of the Custom Cash Card are: restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, select streaming services, select travel, select transit, home improvement stores, fitness clubs, live entertainment and drugstores.
- Card earns 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Cash back is earned in the form of ThankYou Points, which can be redeemed for cash back as a direct deposit, check or statement credit. Or cardmembers can choose other ways to redeem points, including redeeming for gift cards, charitable donations, travel, Shop with Points at Amazon.com, and more.
- If you have a Citi Premier or Prestige card you’ll be able to pool the points and then redeem them to transfer partners.
- Low introductory rate on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.
- Foreign transaction fee is 3% of the U.S. dollar amount of each purchase.
- Only one Citi Custom Cash Card account per customer.
- The Custom Cash Card comes with an instant card number upon approval, no need to wait for the card to come in the mail. (Instant credit limit is 10% of your credit limit, subject to a minimum of $500 and a maximum of $1,000. Instant credit limit is usable for 10 days.)
This sounds like an upgraded version of the old Citi Dividend card. Similar total cashback amount of $500 per month versus the Dividend’s $6,000 per year, but the Custom Cash is much better since it allows you to customize the categories for popular places like groceries or drugstores. Another major advantage is the fact that it earns ThankYou points and gives the option of either cashing out your points or using them toward travel, similar to the DoubleCash card which offers both options.
Could be a useful card to apply for and max out the monthly category. Also interesting as a product change option when getting rid of a card – it’s possible to product change most Citi cards into a Custom Cash and even get multiples that way.