Published on February 27th, 2019 | by Don L29
Discover Credit Card Online Conversion Tool
Discover Card has an online product change (card conversion) tool.
The Discover Card conversion tool should allow you to switch between various flavors (reward programs) of the Discover IT Card with no application (and no credit inquiry).
Discover IT Conversion Options:
- Discover IT
- Rotating 5% categories, up to $1,500 per quarter
- Discover IT Chrome [Discover IT Gas & Restaurants]
- 2% on gas and restaurants up to $1,000 per quarter
- Discover IT Miles [Discover IT Travel]
- 1.5% cash back (don’t believe the first year doubling would apply to a product conversion)
- The conversion is not instantaneous, it happens at the end/close of your statement/billing cycle.
The card conversion tool actually didn’t work for me 🙂 [I needed to call in to perform the product change (Discover IT Miles -> Discover IT)].
The issue was probably caused by the tool improperly handling two credit cards attached to one login (it was only allowing me to change one of my two cards). [Update: It looks like Travel with Grant was able to find a work around for this problem, by freezing the card that he did not want to product change].
But if the tool is valuable to you, we would be interested in your data points.
A few things to keep in mind:
- The common wisdom is that you can only hold 2 Discover Credit Cards
- The Discover IT Miles Card (1.5% doubled after the first year [3%]) is considered churnable with a new signup (not a product conversion).
A full collection of Discover rules is available in 17 Things Everybody Should Know About Discover Credit Cards, and here’s a post specifically on Discover IT Miles to Discover IT product changes.