Update 4/1/20: Flexible cancellation has been extended until June 30th, 2020.
Marriott is the latest hotel chain to announce it’s response to COVID-19. The biggest changes are to the Marriott cancellation policy, the new rules for hotels worldwide are as follows:
- For guests with existing reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates that are typically more restrictive, we will allow full changes or cancellation without a charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival,* as long as the change or cancellation is made by April 30, 2020. Please note that any changes to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
- For guests making new reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates, between today and April 30, 2020, we will allow the reservation to be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date.* Please note that changes to the reservation will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
Keep in mind this is for reservations booked directly with Marriott. Marriott is advising those with third party bookings to contact the booking provider directly. In addition Marriott has announced:
- Marriot Bonvoy points will not expire until August 31st, 2020 (e.g no points will expire between now and that date)
- Suite night awards that are due to expire on December 31st, 2020 will be extended for one year until December 31st, 2021
- Free Night Awards (as part of a credit card benefit, Annual Choice Benefit, Promotion or Travel Package) with an expiration starting March 1, 2020 will be extended through January 31, 2021. The system will automatically complete the updates by the end of April 2020.
- Marriott has also unofficially paused category changes at mainland China hotels that were supposed to go into effect on March 4th.
At this stage it’s not clear if Marriott will be extending elite status or making it easier to qualify for elite status for the 2020 year.
Hat tip to VFTW