Published on January 8th, 2019 | by William Charles50
New American Express Authorized User Bonuses (Platinum) & Everything You Need To Know
Update 1/8/19: Another round of e-mails has gone out. This time other cardholders (blue cash everyday) also targeted. Hat tip to reader @MordyNY
- American Express has just sent out some offers giving bonus points for adding authorized users. All of the offers are valid until February 28th, 2019
Blue Cash Everyday
- Add new additional card members to your account through this e-mail and earn $25 after they spend $250 in eligible purchases on their card in the first 3 months of card membership (limit of 20,000 points). Offer ends February 28th, 2019.
Direct link to offer (should tell you if you’re not eligible, but doesn’t always work properly)
- Add new additional card members to your account through this e-mail and earn 5,000 Membership Rewards points after they spend $500 in eligible purchases on their card in the first 3 months of card membership (limit of 20,000 points). Offer ends February 28th, 2019. Keep in mind you can add gold authorized users for free, Platinum authorized users costs $175 but they get some of the benefits.
What You Should Know
- If you aren’t targeted, call American Express to see if they can add the offer to your account. This is usually possible. At the moment the direct links don’t seem to be working either, so calling in regardless of whether you received an e-mail or not seems like it’s required.
- SSN is not required when you add an authorized user, but you need to provide one within 60 days of account opening (people have been denied the bonus in the past for not providing this in time)
- American Express authorized user accounts do count towards your Chase 5/24 status/total.
No, you can be added as an authorized and then sign up for the card as the primary cardholder and still receive the sign up bonus.
Who needs to spend the money to trigger the bonus?
Authorized user needs to complete the spend requirement. Keep in mind authorized users have their own unique card number so this is easy to track. It’s highly unlikely that spend completed by the primary cardholder will trigger the bonus.
Please share any other offers you received in the comments, along with any direct login links if you have them available.
Hat tip to reader Janzen