Published on May 3rd, 2016 | by Chuck4
Recap: Amex Churning Rules, 7% CD, TD Blunders, New Amex Offers & More
- In TD Bank branches, there are these coin-counting machines where you dump your change and it counts it for deposit. Apparently, they have been under-counting the change for years resulting in a loss of millions for consumers. Wow. There’s now a class lawsuit in the works. (HT: Fatwallet)
- Goldman Sachs launches GS Bank, an Internet bank with a $1 minimum deposit by Techcrunch. They are offering a competitive 1.05% APY savings account which we added to our list of savings accounts here.
- There was an excellent offer to put $7,000 in a CD at 7% APY which Moneymetagame covered. Yesterday, as I started writing up a post about it, the offer was pulled and is no longer available. Apparently, lots of people were jumping on it and they couldn’t handle that many.
- I like reading about personal finance opportunities for investments so I found this Frequentmiler review on Kickfurther interesting. Sounds like an interesting investment opportunity, albeit with more risk than some other investment options, perhaps. Nice that you can increase credit card spend along the way, as well.
- Instant VIP Status and 5000 Bonus Miles from United MileagePlus Dining by Viewfromthewing
- If you lost any time or money over the Home Depot data breach, you can join a class action lawsuit to get reimbursed. Apparently, our time is worth $15 per hour.
- WaiveCar Free 2-Hour Electric Car Rentals in Santa Monica, CA by Maximizing Money. Sounds like a free version of Zipcar, with more limited area constraints. Neat idea to pay for the car with ads and make it free, we’ll have to wait and see how far this idea goes.
- Rumors on Reddit that Amex will be easing up on their once-per-lifetime rule for signup bonuses. If the rumor is correct, business cards may become eligible again 2 years after cancellation, and personal cards after 5 years, perhaps. Currently, the word is that if you cancelled the card more than 7 years ago, you may be able to get the bonus again.
- Another rumor: the Chase United Explorer will have an increased signup bonus of 70,000 miles from June 1 until June 30 (HT: VFTW)
- Check out your Amex Offers – a few new ones came out including $10 off $50 at Big Lots and $25 off $75 for Petco. There’s also a Carraba’s offer of $10 off $25 which stacks nicely with a new offer from Carraba’s to get a $10 bonus card with each $50 gift card purchase.