Published on January 14th, 2020 | by Chuck50
[Targeted] Chase Freedom Unlimited, Southwest, IHG, Hyatt, Amazon, AARP Cards: Get 5x Points in Select Categories [1/15-3/31]
Update: Added Hyatt and Southwest. We’ve added a direct link for the Hyatt offer, below.
Freedom Unlimited Offer| Hyatt offer | IHG (we don’t have the link to other card’s offer; you can also check email for subject: “<your name>, one-click activation inside: You’ll be rewarded with 5% Cash Back for paying monthly bills” or “<your name>, earn 5X points on monthly bills”). Direct link to Amazon offer
Chase is sending out a spend offer on the Freedom Unlimited, IHG, Southwest and Hyatt cards:
- Earn a total of 5% Cash Back on up to $2,000 in purchases when you pay select bills with your Chase Freedom Unlimited® credit card between January 15 and March 31, 2020.
- Earn a total of 5% Cash Back on up to $2,000 in purchases when you pay select bills with your Chase AARP card between January 15 and March 31, 2020.
- Earn a total of 5X bonus points on up to $2,000 in purchases when you pay select bills with your IHG® Rewards Club Credit Card from Chase between January 15 and March 31, 2020.
- Earn a total of 5x Bonus Points on up to $2,000 in purchases when you pay select bills with your Hyatt Credit Card or World of Hyatt Credit Card between January 15 and March 31, 2020.
- Earn a total of 5x Bonus Points on up to $2,000 in purchases when you pay select bills with your Southwest Credit Card or between January 15 and March 31, 2020.
- There’s a similar targeted offer on the Chase Amazon card as well.
Bill categories include: Utilities, Insurance, Phone Service, Cable & Internet Services.
The Fine Print
- * 5% Total Cash Back: To be eligible for this offer, you must log on to the website referenced in this offer and enroll . You’ll earn 5% total Cash Back rewards for each $1 spent, on up to $2,000 in total spend on combined purchases in the reward categories listed below during the promotional period (3.5% additional Cash Back rewards on top of the 1.5% Cash Back rewards earned on each purchase). This equates to $0.05 in total Cash Back rewards, which is equal to 5 points, for each $1 spent, until you reach the $2,000 limit. $100 in Cash Back rewards is equal to 10,000 points. After $2,000 on combined purchases in the reward categories listed below, you go back to earning 1.5% Cash Back rewards for every dollar spent, with no maximum. For a purchase to qualify for this offer, the merchant must submit charges to your credit card by the last day of the promotional period . All of your eligible purchases during the promotional period will be automatically counted, as long as you have enrolled . Please allow up to 8 weeks after qualifying purchases post to your account for bonus points to post to your account. To be eligible for this offer, your account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment.
- Rewards Categories: Internet, Cable, and Phone Service category merchants provide internet, cable, satellite television, radio, cellular, wireless data, and landline services. In addition, if you purchase or pay for your internet, cable and satellite television, phone or related services in a merchant’s store that is not registered by the merchant in the applicable services category, the purchase or payment will not qualify; for example, phone bill payments in a merchant’s store that register to Chase as a telephone equipment store. Utility category merchants provide electric, household fuel, water, and sanitation. Please note that purchases of equipment and some merchants that sell utility-related goods and services are not included; for example, electronics or other retail stores and merchants offering maintenance and cleaning services. Insurance category merchants provide health, automobile, homeowners, medical, and life insurance.
- What determines whether a merchant falls into a category? Merchants who accept Visa/MasterCard credit cards are assigned a merchant code, which is determined by the merchant or its processor in accordance with Visa/MasterCard procedures based on the kinds of products and services they primarily sell. We group similar merchant codes into categories for purposes of making offers to you. Please note: We make every effort to include all relevant merchant codes in our categories. However, even though a merchant or some of the items that it sells may appear to fit within a category, the merchant may not have a merchant code in that category. When this occurs, purchases with that merchant won’t qualify for offers on purchases in that category. Purchases submitted by you, an authorized user, or the merchant through third-party payment accounts, mobile or wireless card readers, online or mobile digital wallets, or similar technology will not qualify in a category if the technology is not set up to process the purchase in that category. This promotional offer is non-transferable and applies only to the account ending in the last 4 digits referenced in this offer. For more information about your rewards program, see your Rewards Program Agreement.
For a lot of us, the Insurance category will be the sweet spot here given that the other categories many of us already earn 5x with the INK Plus/Cash card. Earning 5x Ultimate Rewards points on insurance payments is terrific, and even the IHG offer will be interesting to some.
Others got a different offer: Get 2,000 bonus points with $4,000 spend anywhere. Spend requirement is easier since it works anywhere, but the bonus lands up to just .5x per dollar spent.
There’s a separate offer being sent out on the British Airways card as well, that one is for 15,000 points with $15,000 in spend through June.
Big thanks to all those who sent this one in.