Published on September 19th, 2017 | by Chuck41
[Expired] Amex Offers: $10 Off $200 on Amex Gift Cards
This deal has expired and is unfortunately no longer available. Never miss another deal again by signing up for free and instant notifications of new posts.
It’s that time of year: check your Amex logins for the Amex gift card offer. It’s usually available via Twitter with #AmexGift, but not (yet?) this time.
- Get a $10 statement credit when you spend $200 or more on Amex gift cards at americanexpress.com/gift and pay with your registered Amex card
The Fine Print
- Expires 12/31/17
- $200 can be spent in a single transaction or split across multiple transactions
- Valid online only at americanexpress.com/gift. Not valid for in-store purchases. Excludes purchases made at third party websites.
- Excludes Logo Gift Cards and Gift Cheques. Excludes Prepaid Reloadable Cards.
- Not valid on orders over $100,000
- Offer not valid for any purchases made by using American Express Membership Rewards points
- Use Gift Card only at US merchants that accept American Express® Cards, except cruise lines and recurring payment
Let’s take a quick look at the fees:
- Shipping fee of $8.95, but if you have the premium shipping plan with Amex, the shipping is free. Alternatively, you can use promo code: FREESHP17A for free shipping.
- Purchase fee of $3.95. There’s currently a promo code: SEPT09FEE which waives this fee until 10/15/17. There’ll probably be more codes in the future.
I don’t think they offer anymore the free trial on the premium shipping plan, so realistically most of us will have to choose a promo code to waive one of these fees and obviously the free shipping code makes more sense. Amex gift card purchases of $200 or less do trigger portal rewards. It’s not supposed to work when you use a promo code, but a reader says TCB has been working even with a promo code.
- A better option is to choose the Personalized Gift Card option which allows customizing the gift card amount. Choose $198 and shipping will be just $2 and will bring you up to the $200 threshold. Then use the purchase fee promo code to waive the $3.95 purchase fee.
Overall, with the portal it’ll be a net $11 per Amex card ($10 + $3 – $2), though you might be losing some credit card rewards by using your Amex card vs. your preferred high-earning everyday card. Won’t be worth the hassle for a lot of people, but someone with a consistent way of unloading will find this deal interesting.
I’ll probably make use of the offer to help meet my OBC $6500 spend threshold. You can also use it for minimum spend requirement or other spend thresholds and it should count.
Check out these Things to Know about Amex Offer Deals.