Published on March 12th, 2015 | by Chuck14
[Expired] Chase $175 Savings Account Bonus with $15,000 Initial Deposit
Unfortunately this deal has now expired, you can view all of the current Chase coupons here.
We often mention Chase checking and savings account bonuses. There’s currently a publicly available offer to get $175 with a $15,000 deposit. The offer is especially interesting because the terms seem clear that there’s no requirement to maintain the $15,000 in the account, meaning you can deposit the money, withdraw it a couple of weeks later, and still get the bonus.
[You can see our master list of Chase checking and savings account bonuses here.]
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $175
- Availability: Nationwide
- Additional requirements: $15,000 initial deposit
- Hard/soft pull: Soft
- Credit card funding: No (must apply in-branch)
- Monthly fees: $4-$5, waived with $300 balance
- Early account termination fee: Bonus taken back if closed within six months
- Expiration date: April 23, 2015 (although the landing page may be pulled sooner)
Direct Link You need to enter your email address and you’ll receive the bonus coupon via email within a few minutes.
- Receive $175 bonus when you open a you open a new Chase Savings account and deposit a total of $15,000 or more in new money within 10 business days.
The Fine Print
- Valid until April 23, 2015 (although the landing page may be pulled sooner).
- Initial deposit of $15,000 of new money required within 15 days.
- Bonus will be posted within 10 business days (Chase batch processes these and they are handed out on Tuesdays).
- Limit of one Chase savings bonus per calendar year.
- If account is closed within six months of account opening the bonus will be deducted at closing.
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them.
The Chase Savings Account comes with a monthly service fee of $4 in most states and $5 in CA, FL, GA, ID, NV, OR and WA. Monthly fee is waived with any of the following:
- Keep a minimum daily balance of $300 or more.
- Have at least one repeating automatic transfer from your Chase checking account of $25 or more. One time transfers do not qualify.
- Have a linked Chase Premier Plus Checking, Chase Premier Platinum Checking, or Chase Private Client Checking account.
There is also an early account termination fee, if you close your account within six months then Chase will deduct the bonus.
The offer itself is pretty good on the scale of Chase Savings account bonuses. It’s possible to get a $200 savings account bonus for the same $15,000 initial deposit by purchasing it on eBay. These usually come together with a $300 checking account bonus as well. It could also make sense to do the checking and savings account bonuses together so as to minimize your Chex inquiries. If you already have a coupon for a checking account or if you aren’t planning on opening a checking account, it may be worth it to just use this bonus. You’ll lose $25 but you’ll save the hassle/expense of dealing with buying a coupon on eBay.
Where this offer gets especially interesting is that the terms on most other savings clearly indicate that the initial deposit of $15,000 needs to remain in the account for 60-90 days. In the terms of this $175 bonus that detail is clearly omitted. (Most terms have 3 steps to complete the bonus requirements, the third step being to maintain the balance for 90 days. The terms on this $175 coupon clearly leave out that third step.)
Technically, you should be able to withdraw the money the same day, but we definitely recommend leaving the money in the account for a couple of weeks until the bonus hits. One FatWallet member says that he’s done this before withdrawing the money after the bonus hit, and he didn’t have any problem with it.
Here’s how to go about completing this offer:
- Go to this link and enter your email address.
- Print out the coupon from your email and bring it into a Chase branch.
- Open a savings account with $15,000 check from a non-Chase checking account. You should be able to get a confirmation of the bonus from the Chase banker.
- Wait a couple of weeks for the bonus to post.
- Withdraw all the money into your regular high-interest saving account. Be sure to leave $300 in the Chase savings account so that it will remain fee-free.
- Wait 6 months from account opening date and close the account.
As mentioned, this bonus could go well together with a Chase checking account bonus. The smartest way would probably be to buy one of those on eBay. You should be able to go into a branch and open a checking account with the eBay coupon and a savings account with the above-mentioned coupon at the same time. With this method, you’ll lose the extra $25 that you could have gotten by using a $200 coupon, but you’ll gain the interest on $15,000 for around 70 days.
As always, you can see:
- our master list of Chase bonuses
- Best Bank Account Bonuses for March 2015
- Master List of All Currently Available Bank Account Bonuses