This page contains a list of reconsideration line phone numbers. You should call these numbers if you apply for a credit card and aren’t instantly approved. In general they will ask you a few basic questions (e.g “Why did you miss a credit card payment back in 2008?”) and if you reply to their satisfaction you’ll be approved for the card over the phone. All times on this page are in EST (Eastern Standard Time). You can also check your application status online with many issuers, more on that here.
Calling a reconsideration line for the first time can be nerve racking, so get a few tips before you call.
We keep this page regularly up to date.
- 1 Main Credit Card Issuers
- 1.1 American Express Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1.2 Bank of America Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1.3 Barclays Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1.4 Capital One Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1.5 Chase Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1.6 Citibank Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1.7 Discover Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1.8 U.S Bank Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1.9 Wells Fargo Credit Card Reconsideration
- 2 Smaller Issuers
Main Credit Card Issuers
American Express Credit Card Reconsideration
- Personal & Business for new accounts: 877-399-3083
- Personal & Business for existing account holders: 866-314-0237
- Both open the following hours:
- 8am-Midnight Monday to Friday
- 10am-6:30pm Saturday
- Closed Sundays
Bank of America Credit Card Reconsideration
- Personal: open 8am-7pm Monday To Friday.
A lot of people report having the best success using the Spanish language line (don’t worry, they also speak English) which can be found reached at 866-865-7843Spanish number is now unfortunately dead. They seem to frequently change the reconsideration number, try one of the below 1-866-224-8555 1-866-224-7803
- Business: 888-782-7717 should be current
- 800-481-8277, this number will check your application status. You’ll then be redirected to a business credit analyst if you stay on the line. Alternatively try 888-663-6262. Open 8am – Midnight everyday
- 1 800 601 3923
- You can also view a pending applications status online or by calling 877-721-9405 then pressing 3, followed by your social security number
FIA Card Services
Bank of America is a subsidiary of FIA. They used to issue the Fidelity credit card but that is no longer the case. You can use the following numbers:
- 866-505-7481 English speaking number
- 866-865-7843 Spanish speaking number (they also speak English and generally people have more success calling this number).
Barclays Credit Card Reconsideration
- Personal: 866-408-4064, open 8am till Midnight 7 days a week. You’ll automatically be routed to a Barclays personal credit analyst.
- Business: 866-408-4064, open 8AM-8PM ET (business verification: 866-710-2688)
- You can also view a pending application status online or by calling 888-232-0780 then dial 3 (same operating hours as above). Business card status can be checked here.
Capital One Credit Card Reconsideration
Capital One doesn’t really have a reconsideration number. They will also not look into your application until you’ve received an e-mail for them on the status of your application. For your best bet we’d recommend calling the first number.
- (800) 625-7866 – Application Services Line
- (800) 951-6951 – General Customer Service, automated
- (800) 548-4593 – General Customer Service and Application Line, automated
- (800) 903-9177 – Given to me by chat agent
- (800) 707-0489 – Senior Escalation Account Mgrs.
- (800) 933-5182 – option 3: application status
- (800) 889-9939
HT to flyertalk for this information.
Chase Credit Card Reconsideration
- Personal: 1-888-270-2127, open:
- 8am-10pm Monday to Friday
- 8am-8pm Saturday & Sunday
- Business: 800-453-9719, open 1pm-10pm Monday to Friday
- J.P Morgan (for the Ritz-Carlton card): 800-527-7415
Citibank Credit Card Reconsideration
- Personal: 800-695-5171 8am-Midnight everyday
- Business: 800-763-9795 (866-541-7657) 7am-midnight, every day
Discover Credit Card Reconsideration
- 888-676-3695 or 1-800-DISCOVER
U.S Bank Credit Card Reconsideration
- 800-947-1444 or 800-685-7680
- 8am – 8 pm Monday to Friday
- 9 am – 6 pm Saturday
- Closed Sunday
You can call any time for an automated status check (option 1 then option 1).
Wells Fargo Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1-866-412-5956, open 9am till 9pm Monday till Friday
- 1-800-967-9521, open 8am – 7PM on Saturday
- You can also check the status of your application by calling 1-877-514-3717
- 800-328-1925 (apparently it is 1935 instead of 1925)
- 800-444-6220, option 1. Might be better not to call.
- Doesn’t accept reconsideration by phone. You must send an appeal letter to overturn their decision.
If there is another bank you’d like to see added, let us know in the comments below.