This page contains a list of reconsideration line phone numbers. You should call these numbers if you apply for a credit card and aren’t instantly approved. In general they will ask you a few basic questions (e.g “Why did you miss a credit card payment back in 2008?”) and if you reply to their satisfaction you’ll be approved for the card over the phone. All times on this page are in EST (Eastern Standard Time). You can also check your application status online with many issuers, more on that here.
Calling a reconsideration line for the first time can be nerve racking, so get a few tips before you call.
We keep this page regularly up to date.
- 1 Main Credit Card Issuers
- 1.1 American Express Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1.2 Bank of America Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1.3 Barclays Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1.4 Capital One Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1.5 Chase Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1.6 Citibank Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1.7 Discover Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1.8 U.S Bank Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1.9 Wells Fargo Credit Card Reconsideration
- 2 Smaller Issuers
Main Credit Card Issuers
American Express Credit Card Reconsideration
- Personal & Business for new accounts: 877-399-3083
- Personal & Business for existing account holders: 866-314-0237
- Both open the following hours:
- 8am-Midnight Monday to Friday
- 10am-6:30pm Saturday
- Closed Sundays
Bank of America Credit Card Reconsideration
- Personal: open 8am-7pm Monday To Friday.
A lot of people report having the best success using the Spanish language line (don’t worry, they also speak English) which can be found reached at 866-865-7843Spanish number is now unfortunately dead. They seem to frequently change the reconsideration number, try one of the below:
1-866-224-8555 1-866-224-7803 1-800-354-0401 1-866-505-7481
- Business: 888-782-7717 or 888-569-4436
- 800-481-8277, this number will check your application status. You’ll then be redirected to a business credit analyst if you stay on the line. Alternatively try 888-663-6262. Open 8am – Midnight everyday
- 1 800 601 3923
- You can also view a pending applications status online or by calling 877-721-9405 then pressing 3, followed by your social security number
FIA Card Services
Bank of America is a subsidiary of FIA. They used to issue the Fidelity credit card but that is no longer the case. You can use the following numbers:
- 866-505-7481 English speaking number
- 866-865-7843 Spanish speaking number (they also speak English and generally people have more success calling this number).
Barclays Credit Card Reconsideration
- Personal: 866-408-4064, open 8am till Midnight 7 days a week. You’ll automatically be routed to a Barclays personal credit analyst.
- Business: 866-408-4064, open 8AM-8PM ET (business verification: 866-710-2688)
- You can also view a pending application status online or by calling 888-232-0780 then dial 3 (same operating hours as above). Business card status can be checked here.
Capital One Credit Card Reconsideration
Capital One doesn’t really have a reconsideration number. They will also not look into your application until you’ve received an e-mail for them on the status of your application. For your best bet we’d recommend calling the first number.
- (800) 625-7866 – Application Services Line
- (800) 951-6951 – General Customer Service, automated
- (800) 548-4593 – General Customer Service and Application Line, automated
- (800) 903-9177 – Given to me by chat agent
- (800) 707-0489 – Senior Escalation Account Mgrs.
- (800) 933-5182 – option 3: application status
- (800) 889-9939
HT to flyertalk for this information.
Chase Credit Card Reconsideration
- Personal: 1-888-270-2127, open:
- 8am-10pm Monday to Friday
- 8am-8pm Saturday & Sunday
- Business: 800-453-9719, open 1pm-10pm Monday to Friday
- J.P Morgan (for the Ritz-Carlton card): 800-527-7415
Citibank Credit Card Reconsideration
- Personal: 800-695-5171 8am-Midnight everyday
- Business: 800-763-9795 (866-541-7657) 7am-midnight, every day
Discover Credit Card Reconsideration
- 888-676-3695 or 1-800-DISCOVER
U.S Bank Credit Card Reconsideration
- 800-947-1444 or 800-685-7680
- 8am – 8 pm Monday to Friday
- 9 am – 6 pm Saturday
- Closed Sunday
You can call any time for an automated status check (option 1 then option 1).
[Remember: Freeze Your IDA & ARS Reports Before Applying For A U.S Bank Credit Card]
Wells Fargo Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1-866-412-5956, open 9am till 9pm Monday till Friday
- 1-800-967-9521, open 8am – 7PM on Saturday
- You can also check the status of your application by calling 1-877-514-3717
- 800-328-1925 (apparently it is 1935 instead of 1925)
- 800-444-6220, option 1. Might be better not to call.
- Doesn’t accept reconsideration by phone. You must send an appeal letter to overturn their decision.
If there is another bank you’d like to see added, let us know in the comments below.
US Bank numbers say their normal business hours are M-F 8AM to 5PM central, calling on Saturdays do not work
the bank of america personal recon numbers no longer worked.
This one worked for me 888-569-4436
Says it’s a non working number at BofA now.
what number are people calling for bofa business recon? all the numbers listed above for me didnt work and are saying disconnected
1-800-601-3923 seems to work. But the department closes early. I called just after 5pm ET and received a message that they were closed.
Just called at 11am EST and they were closed.
BofA Business recon for once had almost no wait today. Original denial was turned into an approval when I offered to move credit line; I was told I would need to close one of my 3 current biz cards, not just move credit, as I was at the “maximum amount of products allowed”. That’s a new one, but I don’t mind.
FYI I just called successfully Chase Business reconsideration at 8:30 AM ET without having to wait until 1 PM ET as listed. (Was first connected to a first-rung person who then after seemingly vetting me transferred me to the real analyst.)
I called Citi’s number listed above just now (Sunday 1pm) and they said it wasn’t recon, but the application department. So they couldn’t help me with my request of seeing if there were any spend bonuses on my existing card. (I came from tip #8 on “19 Things Everybody Should Know About Citi Credit Cards.”)
Barclays Recon line worked for me. Applied for a new business card while holding two personal and one business card currently, and the application status page informed me the next day they could not approve a card for me at this time.
Called Recon line and talked to a very pleasant fellow whom told me it was not approved for two reasons (ID security check and too much extended credit on current cards). Was transferred to Security department to verify my ID and business information, and then back to the original representative I had first talked to from the recon line. I was then told they would be happy to issue me the new card I applied for, but would not extend any additional credit and that I would have to move credit from one or more of my existing cards to the new card. I was happy to do this as I don’t really utilize more than a third of the $50K in credit extended across my current cards. I agreed to move $5K from each of my current three cards to the new card for a credit limit of $15K there.
Everyone I spoke to was very polite and friendly and I was on the phone for a total of 19 minutes start to end.
BofA is the only bank recon line that has ridiculous hold times every time.
U.S. Bank reconsideration line is now only open from 9am-5pm ET Monday-Saturday (Closed Sunday)
was it easy to talk to them to get things approved?
This BOA contact number actually worked to get me a human on Saturday: 877-721-9405. The person helped me get a credit limit increase.
Wow, IT for Bank of America customer support service is really bad. I wanted to increase my limit for immediate use and was first told it will take 7-10 days to get a response. Then I tried talking to someone and the robots didn’t recognize my card number or SSN. Couldn’t get through to a rep.
DoC comes to the rescue again! They had numbers to try! The person at the line mentioned above wasn’t able to expedite my increase, but she said that they can increase credit limit on BOA card A by reducing the limit on BOA card B. That worked, immediately. Problem solved.