Published on April 15th, 2019 | by Chuck20
Full Details on Citi Prestige Cell Phone Insurance Coverage
Back in October, Citi announced numerous changes to their Prestige card, some positive and some negative. One positive change mentioned then was cell phone protection, slated to begin on May 1, 2019. We got most of the details back in March when the PR team sent out the basics. On April 14th, Citi updated the terms on the Citi Prestige card officially putting the changes into effect.
You can view the full PDF terms here – page 4 through 9 are the relevant pages for cell phone protection.
Most of the regular details and exclusions are the same as those of other cards with cell phone protection. Here are some additional key details, including some people were asking about:
- You are eligible for coverage the first day of the calendar month following the payment of your cell phone bill.
- If you skip paying a bill with the Prestige card, coverage is suspended beginning the first day of the calendar month following the month of nonpayment. Coverage resumes on the first day of the calendar month following the date of any future payment of your EligibleCellular Wireless Telephone bill with your Covered Card.
- Thus, while the new terms of the Prestige card are already intact since April 14th, coverage won’t actually start until May 1, and only if you pay your cellular bill during April with the Prestige card.
- The terms state coverage is for “reimbursement for the actual cost to replace or repair a stolen or damaged…phone”. In the event of theft or irreparable damage, I’m unsure if they replace it with a new phone or they can replace it with a used one, I’d assume they pay for a new one, e.g. if your iPhone X gets stolen, they’ll pay for the value of a new iPhone X. Note, the cost of the iPhone X likely went down since the time you purchased it, and your probably won’t get reimbursed for the price you paid, rather for the price it’s going for now.
- As with some other cell phone protections, pre-paid plans are excluded. (“Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephones that are received as part of a pre-paid plan.”) The language makes it sound like the exclusion is only when the phone is received as part of the prepaid plan, but if you buy a phone and sign up for a prepaid plan that would be covered.
- There’s a limit of 5 phones covered: The Prestige cell phone insurance covers the “cellular telephones associated with the primary line and up to the first four secondary, additional or supplemental lines on the Eligible Person’s monthly billing statement.” It seems likely that if you have two separate cell phone plans, (e.g. yours’ and your spouse’s) and pay both bills with the Prestige card, they’d both be covered.
- Cosmetic damage or minor damage that does not impede the ability to make or receive calls is not covered. For example, screen cracks under 2 inches will not be covered.
- For the stolen claim, you need to file a police report within 48 hours.
Hat tip to reader D.