Update 1/24/2019: Prices change tomorrow, if there is a property that you’re interested in that is increasing in price remember to book it today to avoid that price rise.
Once a year IHG announces what properties will be changing award category. The full list of properties changing award category can be found here. Last year they also added a new category costing 70,000 points, this year there will be no new maximum category added thankfully.
- 696 properties in total will be changing their award category
- 570 properties are increasing in price
- 126 properties decreasing in price
- 38 properties no longer eligible for the 40,000 point free night. 1 property now eligible for 40,000 point free night.
- No new properties will cost 70,000 points
- Average property price increases from 24,000 points to 27,180 points
- Last year 691 properties changed award category
The average hotel pricing going up by 3,180 is significant, although the ‘real’ affects could be worse if highly valued award properties were targeted for increases.