Published on April 28th, 2018 | by William Charles148
MoviePass Review: Unlimited Movies For $9.95 Per Month [Now Requiring Photo Of Ticket Stub]
MoviePass is now requiring some users to upload photos of their ticket stubs after making a purchase. This is part of a beta program, presumably if it goes well and reduces fraud it will be implemented across all users. Hopefully they don’t plan to also add the four movie restriction to existing user accounts as well… Hat tip to Miles to Memories
- MoviePass is subscription service that lets you see one standard 2D Movie every calendar day. The cost will vary depending on what they are currently offering, but usually they charge $9.95 per month.
Currently they are charging $7.95 per month with a $19.95 joining but you must sign up for a years subscription that makes it $115 per year. If you have a Costco membership you can get it for $89.99 and it also includes a years Fandor membership as well. Only regular $9.95 pricing is currently available.
The Fine Print
- Limit of one pass per person
- Most questions will have answers found here
- You can see what theaters are eligible by changing the zip code on this link: https://www.moviepass.com/register/map?zip=10024, this works also: https://www.moviepass.com/theaters/zip/11111
When Moviepass relaunched as $9.95 they briefly offered a free trial, unfortunately this is no longer being offered. As mentioned above, there are several other ways to save money on this membership though.
This section of the post will track changes to MoviePass as they happen:
- Update 01/25/18: MoviePass is no longer being accepted at certain AMC Theaters. What’s interesting is that it seems that MoviePass and not AMC Theaters are the ones making the change according to Deadline. It looks like the AMC theaters being blocked also charge a premium compared to other theaters. Keep in mind Costco has this on sale as well.
- Update: Annual offer no longer available and now you can only get the $9.95 per month option.
- Reposting because they are now offering an annual pass for $89.95 here. They are not offering the $9.95 monthly pass at this stage. Not sure if there is any way for existing customers to upgrade their account and if you cancel your account you’re not eligible to sign up for another 9 months. According to chat reps they will be sending existing members an e-mail in the near future with the offer to upgrade, so I’d recommend waiting for this if you’re interested (Update: Read this comment for more details). Annual offers like this scare me with MP, because there has to be no way they are actually profitable. Credit card chargebacks are always an option, but they are only good for a period of time after the charge posts.
- Update: AMC will be trying to block MoviePass after the massive price cut.
Currently MoviePass does not offer any referral program, we will update this post if that changes.
MoviePass has one main competitor when it comes to movie subscription services and that’s Sinemia. Unlike MoviePass they don’t offer unlimited viewings, but prices start at $4.99 per month and some plans include premium screens. In addition you can book tickets in advance and use in some countries outside of the United States.
I personally love going to the movies (especially by myself) but one of the reasons I don’t go more often is the price. This deal seems insane. Nick over at Frequent Miler has a great post discussing the pass so I’d recommend reading that first before purchasing. I don’t see how this is remotely sustainable so will be interesting to see what their business model actually is.