Published on October 4th, 2018 | by William Charles130
New American Express Gold Benefits Showing For Existing Customers (2x On Gas To Be Kept Until 10/04/2019)
Small update: Existing cardholders (those who were cardholders before October 4th, 2018) will keep the 2x earning rate on gas stations until October 4th, 2019. American Express provided the following statement to Frequent Miler:
Additionally, with these changes, the current 2X Membership Rewards points on spend at U.S. Gas Stations earn will be no longer be offered on the Gold Card. Current Premier Rewards Gold Card Members will continue to receive this benefit until October 4, 2019, when this benefit will be discontinued.
Keep in mind other cards earn at a much higher rate on gas stations.
In case you didn’t know, a number of new benefits are coming to the Premier Rewards Gold card today (including a name change to simply ‘American Express Gold’ Update: Card is now live). These benefits are now showing up for existing users:
- Card will earn at the following rates:
- 4x points at U.S. Restaurants
- 4x points at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 in spend per calendar year)
- 3x points for flights booked directly with airlines
- 1x points on all other purchases
- $120 dining credit. This is a $10 monthly credit that can be used at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Shake Shack. Link to sign up
- $100 airline fee credit
- Metal card design in gold, or limited edition rose gold until 1/9/2019
- Annual fee has been increased to $250
Requesting New Card
You can request a new metal gold card online by following the prompts (Account Services > Order a Replacement Card > Metal Card). If you want the limited edition rose gold card then you need to start a chat request.
The only problem with that is the chat agents obviously haven’t been properly trained as they have no idea what you’re talking about. I imagine this will be fixed shortly. In my opinion American Express will almost certainly run out of card stock for this rose gold version, I think it will be a lot more popular than they are expecting so I’d request one sooner rather than later if you’re interested. These requests are now working.Your existing card will continue to work until the new card arrives and is activated. Whatever color the primary cardholder chooses, the authorized users will receive the same color (and no possibility of mixing and matching).
Reps are now starting that you won’t be able to request the new Rose card until tomorrow.