Published on July 23rd, 2018 | by William Charles15
New Citi American Airlines MileUp Card Now Live
Earlier this month Citi & American Airlines announced that they would be launching a new no annual fee co-branded credit card. That card, called MileUp is now live and accepting applications.
- No annual fee
- Card earns at the following rates:
- 2x miles per $1 spent on American Airline purchases and at grocery stores
- 1x mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Sign up bonus of 10,000 American Airlines miles and a $50 statement credit after $500 in spend within the first three months
- This card replaces the current Bronze card offered (previously this only earned 1 mile per $2 spent)
This card isn’t great, but it’s treated as a different product/family for the purposes of Citi’s 24 month per brand rule. This card states:
“Statement credit and American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had an AAdvantage MileUpSM card opened or closed in the past 24 months.”
Other Citi American Airlines personal cards state (emphasis mine):
“American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi® / AAdvantage® card (other than an AAdvantage MileUpSM or CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card) opened or closed in the past 24 months.”
Given the sign up bonus is only 10,000 miles + $50 I still don’t think it’s worth signing up for. That being said some people will find the 2x American Airlines miles on grocery store purchases worth signing up for. But hopefully they offer a better sign up bonus in the future.
Hat tip to reader dmlin