Getting a credit limit increase (CLI) with Discover can be tricky, you can use the online form but this is not always available. We recently learned about a new trick that can improve your chances of getting a CLI. Here is how to do it:
- Call the number on the back of your card and follow the prompts (should be Option 4 ‘more options’ then option 3 ‘credit line increase’)
- Enter in all of the request information
- You’ll either be instantly approved for a credit limit increase if not it will say something along the lines of “more information is needed, transferring your to a customer service representative”
- Hang up before the representative comes on the phone
- You should receive a credit limit increase without a hard pull being done
Obviously this does not work 100% of the time, but it seems to work more often than using the online credit limit increase Discover offers (often this is not available).
This does not mean you should rack up a balance just for this purpose, just that you might be better leaving the balance on there until you request the increase. Make sure you pay your card off in full before the due date to avoid any interest charges.
This tip could be useful for those who got the Discover it Miles with a small credit limit and are worried about cycling that limit multiple times per month.
Hat tip to ibmrad7 from myFICO