Published on August 27th, 2017 | by William Charles98
Why You Should Support Sites You Enjoy
Something that I’ve noticed is that some of my favorite sites either don’t post anymore or post a lot less than they used to. This is something that frustrates me because no matter the niche I love reading sites that produce quality content. I’ve asked people why they stopped blogging and the answer is always the same: readers didn’t support the site enough. Most people will think that I’m just talking about financial support but that isn’t the only way to support a site.
How Can You Support A Site?
- Be an active contributor. I’d say 90% of the user submitted content on this site comes from less than 1% of the reader base. Imagine if everybody contributed? You can contribute to Doctor of Credit by providing useful comments or by letting us know about a deal/trick we haven’t covered before.
- Share the site and your favorite content. The only way for a site to grow is if you share the site itself (on social media, forums, reddit, with family & friends). If one post gets a lot more page views than the others then I’m more likely to try and produce more content that’s similar.
- Say thank you in a meaningful way. One of my favorite parts of this blog is receiving an e-mail or comment from a reader saying thank you. Even better is when they say why they are thankful (e.g “thanks for the site, it’s made my heaps of money” is really nice but even better is something like “thanks so much for your site, thanks to it I’ve been able to take my family on an extra vacation next year”).
- Provide constructive criticism. No site is perfect and most blog owners really appreciate criticism if it’s done in a constructive way (bad: “**** you you piece of ****, this site looks like **** on mobile” thanks for ruining all the deals” good: “Hey will, the pop up on mobile asking for e-mails is really annoying. Have you thought about changing it?”)
- Support it financially. Most blogs/sites will make it clear the ways you can support it. For example you can support Doctor of Credit by using our Amazon or eBay links.
I hate that some of my favorite blogs no longer exist because they weren’t supported properly by their readers. I think readers often think that blogging is a lot easier than it actually is. You just set it up throw some ads on it and you’re rich. If there is a blog you like (and especially if it isn’t this one) I really encourage you to show some support to that blogger. There is no point in complaining about bad content all the time if you’re not doing anything about supporting good content.
Also just want to say thank you to all of the readers that have supported this site. Without you this site would not be nearly as helpful as it is and I doubt I would still be blogging at all.