Published on May 7th, 2019 | by Chuck25
[Expired] [Targeted] Chase Sapphire Preferred: Get 3-5x Points on Bill Payments for Insurance, Utilities, Phone Service, Cable
View more Chase Sapphire Preferred deals by clicking here.
Update: Some people have the same offer but for 5x points instead of 3x.
(Direct Link needed)
Chase is sending out an email offer for the Sapphire Preferred card and possibly others:
- Earn a total of 3X bonus points on up to $2,000 in purchases when you pay select bills with your Chase Sapphire Preferred card between May 13 and July 31, 2019. Included Categories are Internet, Cable, and Phone Service; Utilities; Insurance.
The Fine Print
- Please allow up to 8 weeks after qualifying purchases post to your account for bonus points to post to your account. To be eligible for this offer, your account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment.
- Rewards Categories: Internet, Cable, and Phone Service category merchants provide internet, cable, satellite television, radio, cellular, wireless data, and landline services.
- In addition, if you purchase or pay for your internet, cable and satellite television, phone or related services in a merchant’s store that is not registered by the merchant in the applicable services category, the purchase or payment will not qualify; for example, phone bill payments in a merchant’s store that register to Chase as a telephone equipment store.
- Utility category merchants provide electric, household fuel, water, and sanitation.
- Please note that purchases of equipment and some merchants that sell utility-related goods and services are not included; for example, electronics or other retail stores and merchants offering maintenance and cleaning services.
- Insurance category merchants provide health, automobile, homeowners, medical, and life insurance.
- What determines whether a merchant falls into a category? Merchants who accept Visa/MasterCard credit cards are assigned a merchant code, which is determined by the merchant or its processor in accordance with Visa/MasterCard procedures based on the kinds of products and services they primarily sell. We group similar merchant codes into categories for purposes of making offers to you.
- Please note: We make every effort to include all relevant merchant codes in our categories. However, even though a merchant or some of the items that it sells may appear to fit within a category, the merchant may not have a merchant code in that category. When this occurs, purchases with that merchant won’t qualify for offers on purchases in that category.
- Purchases submitted by you, an authorized user, or the merchant through third-party payment accounts, mobile or wireless card readers, online or mobile digital wallets, or similar technology will not qualify in a category if the technology is not set up to process the purchase in that category.
We saw a similar offer on many Chase cards last month, and reader Jeffrey got this one today on the Sapphire Preferred. Nice to see this on Chase’s own branded cards. I believe it’s 1x standard earn + 3x bonus earn earned per dollar spent in these categories.
For those with an INK Plus/Cash card who already get bonus rewards on the Phone and Cable categories, it’s probably the Insurance and Utilities categories which you’ll want to target to see if you can max this out. Worth doing a small test first to make sure it codes properly. (Plastiq payments weren’t working according to data points from the Amazon offer.)
Hat tip to reader Jeffrey