Published on February 16th, 2017 | by William Charles9
[Expired] [WA Only] Sound Credit Union $100 Free Checking Bonus
This offer has been replaced with a new offer. You can find more information about that here.
Reposting because it’s been over two years since we originally posted and offer still available. Thanks to reader Curmudgeon for reminding me about this offer. Keep in mind they might be ChexSystems sensitive.
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $100
- Availability: WA only, find branches here or sign up by phone.
- Direct deposit required: Yes, $250+ recurring
- Additional requirements: Must also open savings account
- Hard/soft pull: Soft
- Credit card funding: Unknown
- Monthly fees: None for the free checking account and none for savings if balance is $25+
- Early account termination fee: $10, 90 days. You’ll need to keep the account open for at least 3 months though to get the bonus
- Expiration date: None specified
- Open a checking account with sound credit union and receive a $100 bonus when you set up a recurring direct deposit of $250 or more for a minimum of three months
The Fine Print
- Must also open a savings account with $25 minimum balance
- Must be criteria to open and offer may change at any time.
- Cannot have had a checking account in past 12 months.
- Bonus will be paid out on the first business day of the month following the third direct deposit
- Direct deposit must be established within 90 days of account opening
- One bonus per member
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
Your best bet for avoiding fees will be to open the free checking account, which as it’s name implies does not have a monthly fee. If you close your account within 90 days there will be an early account termination fee of $10, given that you need to keep the account open for at least three months this isn’t really an issue.
You’ll also need to keep the $25 in your savings account to keep that fee free, otherwise you will be charged a $5 monthly “low balance fee”
We’re not sure if this is a hard or soft pull, so for now I’d stick clear of this offer. I also hate deals where you need a recurring direct deposit (unless of course they are giving you a monthly bonus). If you’ve signed up for this credit union and can give the rest of us some details, that’d be great. Make sure you look at our best checking promos before signing up for this deal.