Published on September 28th, 2017 | by Chuck6
23andMe Class Action Settlement, $12-$40 Compensation [2007-2013]
23andMe Class Settlement
In November 2013, the FDA sent 23andMe a letter which directed the company to discontinue marketing the health information component of the Company’s Personal Genome Service (“PGS”). In January 2014, the class action arbitration called Davis-Hudson, et al. v. 23andMe, Inc. was submitted. Claimants allege that the PGS was sold to consumers based on inaccurate or misleading information regarding the PGS capabilities, and was not sold in compliance with applicable federal and state laws.
Who is eligible?
If you purchased the PGS from 23andMe between October 16, 2007 and November 22, 2013 you are eligible.
“All persons and entities resident in the United States of America who purchased for personal use the PGS from 23andMe during the Class Period other than for purposes of resale or distribution or to provide to third parties for purposes of research or education.”
How much can we get?
Either $12.50 in cash or $40 23andMe credit for each PGS unit purchased. If you don’t specify and are in their system as part of the class, they’ll automatically send the $40 certificate, so be sure to specify cash if that’s what you want.
Details about the certificates:
- The Certificates cannot be used in combination with other Certificates that will be issued in connection with the settlement (i.e., you cannot use two $40 Certificates to get an $80 discount off of a PGS).
- The Certificates can be used in combination with other offers by 23andMe not issued in connection with the settlement (i.e., you can use both a $40 Certificate and a current 25% off offer made available by 23andMe off a PGS).
- The Certificates are to be used for a direct $40 discount off 23andMe’s entire PGS service (i.e., the kit, the testing, and the report showing the test results).
- October 16, 2007 and November 22, 2013 is the purchase timeframe
- Final Approval Hearing will be on November 15, 2017
- December 6, 2017 is the last date to elect to receive cash compensation
Eligible claimants should have gotten a mailer about this. Be sure to elect for cash by December 6th if that’s your preference.
Hat tip to Jack