Published on June 23rd, 2016 | by William Charles11
35% Bonus When You Convert Hotel Points To British Airways Avios
- Receive a 35% bonus when you convert hotel points to British Airways Avios from one of the following qualifying partners:
- Carlson Hotels (10:1)
- Hilton Hotels (10:1)
- Hyatt Hotels & Resorts (2.5:1)
- Intercontinental Hotel Group (10:2)
- Marriott (10:2)
- Shangri-La (1:1)
- Starwood (1:1, with 5,000 bonus when converting 20,000 or more)
The Fine Print
- This promotion is only open to Eligible Participants. An Eligible Participant is a person aged 18 or over , is a British Airways Executive Club (“BAEC”) Member (membership terms and conditions apply) and is enrolled and registered with one of the participating hotel partner loyalty programmes.
- Participating hotel partners are Carlson Hotels, Hilton Hotels, Hyatt Hotels & Resorts, Intercontinental Hotel Group, Marriott ,Shangri-La and Starwood.
- Valid until July 5th, 2016
- Bonus Avios can take 4-6 weeks to show on your account from the date of conversion.
SPG is probably the best program to do this from. When you transfer 20,000 SPG points to British Airways Avios, you get 5,000 bonus Avios. So 20,000 SPG points = 25,000 Avios. According to this Flyertalk comment, this 35% bonus should apply to both the original 20,000 transferred and the 5,000 bonus Avios. This means that transferring 20,000 SPG points will net you 33,750 Avios for a transfer rate of 1:1.69.
If for whatever reason the 35% bonus doesn’t apply to the additional 5,000 bonus points then you’d receive 32,000 Avios for a 20,000 SPG transfer. For a transfer rate of 1:1.6.
I think only SPG is worth considering, personally I like SPG points a lot more than airline miles but that’s because I have an excess of miles and not enough SPG (or Hyatt) points. For others, they might value Avios at more than SPG – if you see yourself doing such a transfer in the future then this is a great offer to hop on.