Published on May 10th, 2018 | by William Charles26
Alaska Airlines To End 60 Day Free Cancellation/Change Policy
Alaska has officially announced that they will be changing their change and cancellation policy for tickets purchased on or after June 5th, 2018. Previously if you made changes/cancelled your ticket more than 60 days before departure there was no fee, now the rules will be:
- If you change or cancel your ticket more than 60 days before departure, that change/cancellation will now be subject to a fee of $125.
- For travel that begins within the 24 hours after you purchase a ticket, the $125 fee applies immediately. For all other travel, the $125 change/cancellation fee applies starting 24 hours after ticketing.
They also state three exceptions to this rule:
- Change/cancellation fees do not apply to refundable fares, whether purchased, award, or Money & Miles.
- MVP® Gold and Gold 75K Mileage Plan™ members will still enjoy the same service fee waivers that they currently have.
- Change fees do not apply to travel wholly within the state of Alaska on purchased or Money & Miles tickets. Standard cancellation fees apply. Note: Standard change/cancellation fees do apply to intra-Alaska award travel.
This was previously announced when Alaska announced basic economy and other revenue increasing measures. June 5th had been the rumored date for some time as well, but it’s now confirmed. Obviously this is a negative change, Southwest, ANA & American Airlines will now be the three airlines that allow changes to award tickets without fees.
Hat tip to nomii & reader AJ