Published on May 28th, 2019 | by Chuck46
Alliant Credit Cards No Longer Earn Rewards with Plastiq
Multiple readers report Alliant credit cards no longer earn rewards when used on Plastiq. Apparently, Alliant has coded them internally not to earn rewards. Far as I can tell from reader’s reports, the charge goes through without any cash advance fees, just it doesn’t earn rewards.
Interestingly, Plastiq in their latest update of this page (updated 9 days ago) has Alliant pegged as a cash advance and no rewards. Regardless, I assume no one will use Alliant cards anymore. A lot of people liked to use the Alliant Visa Signature card which earns 2.5% on all purchases regularly and 3% during the first year. That’s no longer possible.
To recap the current state of Plastiq:
- All Mastercard and Discover cards work fine and earn rewards.
- Amex works on select charges and earns rewards.
- Visa business cards work fine and earn rewards.
- Visa personal cards from Capital One and Wells Fargo work fine and earn rewards.
- Visa personal cards from Chase work fine with no fees and earns rewards as well, but it initially posts as a cash advance and you are thus limited to your cash advance limit on the charge.
- Mastercard gift cards work fine.
- Visa gift cards generally don’t work on Plastiq.
- Amex gift cards don’t work due to address verification fail, according to reader Dave.
We’ll update our main Plastiq review with this Alliant change.