Multiple readers report Alliant credit cards no longer earn rewards when used on Plastiq. Apparently, Alliant has coded them internally not to earn rewards. Far as I can tell from reader’s reports, the charge goes through without any cash advance fees, just it doesn’t earn rewards.
Interestingly, Plastiq in their latest update of this page (updated 9 days ago) has Alliant pegged as a cash advance and no rewards. Regardless, I assume no one will use Alliant cards anymore. A lot of people liked to use the Alliant Visa Signature card which earns 2.5% on all purchases regularly and 3% during the first year. That’s no longer possible.
To recap the current state of Plastiq:
- All Mastercard and Discover cards work fine and earn rewards.
- Amex works on select charges and earns rewards.
- Visa business cards work fine and earn rewards.
- Visa personal cards from Capital One and Wells Fargo work fine and earn rewards.
- Visa personal cards from Chase work fine with no fees and earns rewards as well, but it initially posts as a cash advance and you are thus limited to your cash advance limit on the charge.
- Mastercard gift cards work fine.
- Visa gift cards generally don’t work on Plastiq.
- Amex gift cards don’t work due to address verification fail, according to reader Dave.
We’ll update our main Plastiq review with this Alliant change.