Published on July 30th, 2017 | by William Charles9
Barclaycard To Launch Uber Credit Card (Lyft To Follow)
Card now available, more details and our full review here.
According to WSJ (full article also available here) Barclaycard will issue an Uber credit card in the fall. Visa is expected to be the payment processor for the new card. At the moment it isn’t clear what the structure of the card will be, but it will be possible to use the card outside of Uber purchases. This isn’t surprising given that earlier this month Barlaycard registered domain names relating to an Uber credit card. What is interesting is that Barclaycard will be the issuer:
- Capital One had a long standing partnership with Uber offering 21.5% off. This was recently replaced with a Spotify discount.
- American Express recently added a $200 Uber credit to their Platinum card.
Lyft also has plans to launch a co-branded credit card in the future but at this stage it isn’t clear what card issuer they will go with. American Express seems unlikely given the Uber credit on the Platinum card. I’m surprised that these ride sharing companies haven’t launched a co-branded credit card earlier to be honest. I’m still shocked that AirBnB and AccorHotels still don’t have co-branded cards as well. What benefits, sign up bonus and fees would you like to see on these cards? Let me know in the comments below.
Personally this is what I am expecting:
- No annual fee
- $100 Uber credit sign up bonus after $500 spend
- Card earns at the following rates:
- 3x on Uber
- 2x on some random categories, probably groceries and restaurants
- 1x on all other purchases
That wouldn’t be enough to get me to apply personally.
Hat tip to Mark L