Published on December 1st, 2017 | by Chuck124
Everything You Wanted To Know About The American Express Platinum Uber Credit ($15 Credit For February Now Available)
Update December 3rd, 2017:
Looks like the below issue has now been fixed and the full $35 is being applied.
Update December 1st, 2017:
As we’re now in December you should have access to $35 in Uber credits for this month. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem like the credits are working properly, it shows a $35 credit but when completing a trip only $15 is coming off rather than the full $35. I suspect this is a coding issue, but it’s something to keep in mind. If you’re having this issue I’d recommend complaining to American Express & Uber. You’d think when paying an annual fee of $550 you’d get benefits that work correctly but you’d be sorely mistaken.
If it’s intentional that it’s two separate credits of $15 & $20, then that’s even worse and equally unacceptable especially as you’d hope the bigger discount would come off first. Update: When using UberEats the full $35 credit is being applied, so it doesn’t look like two separate credits is intentional. Fingers crossed this is fixed quickly.
Hat tip to reader @PresleyTried
Original post March 30th, 2017:
The Amex Platinum card now comes with $15 of monthly Uber credits free when you add your personal Platinum card to the Uber app. In this post we will look at what you’ll likely want to know about the credit. First some basics:
- You receive a $15 credit every calendar month
- In December you receive an additional $20 credit (so total of $35)
- Platinum card earns 2x points per $1 spent on Uber, but you don’t have to use your Platinum card to use the credit if your fare is over $15
- If you have more than one personal Platinum card (e.g. a regular Platinum and an Ameriprise Platinum), you’ll get $15 for each.
- 1 F.A.Q’s
- 1.1 My credit isn’t showing, what do I do?
- 1.2 Does the credit work on UberEats?
- 1.3 Is the credit applied first, or will a gift card be used first?
- 1.4 Does this work for authorized users?
- 1.5 Can the credit be used outside of the U.S?
- 1.6 Can the credit used be in Puerto Rico?
- 1.7 Can you buy Uber gift cards using the credit?
- 1.8 Can you get multiple credits on the same account?
- 1.9 Do I have to use my Platinum card for Uber purchases?
- 1.10 Do the first time use/referral bonuses stack with the American Express credit?
- 1.11 What Timezone Is Used?
My credit isn’t showing, what do I do?
Remove your American Express Platinum as a payment option and re add it.
Does the credit work on UberEats?
Yes, currently it’s showing and working for UberEats.
Is the credit applied first, or will a gift card be used first?
You should be able to toggle the credits on/off. Uber discusses this here. or follow these steps:
- Pretend you are about to call an Uber
- The price estimate comes up, click on the Payment option where your last 4 of cc are displayed
- Your list of cards shows up. Scroll to the bottom and the credits appear, along with a toggle switch if you want to turn them off and pay with your card instead.
The issue with this is that it still groups all credits together (e.g Quicksilver credits as well).
No, it will only work when the primary card is added to Uber. If you trust the authorized user (and you should if they are an authorized user) then you could just give them the primary card details to add into their own account.
Can the credit be used outside of the U.S?
Can the credit used be in Puerto Rico?
Can you buy Uber gift cards using the credit?
No they aren’t sold directly through the app so this will not work.
Can you get multiple credits on the same account?
Yes doesn’t seem to be any hard limit (useful if you have more than one Platinum variation). Multiple credits can also be applied to a single ride.
Do I have to use my Platinum card for Uber purchases?
No, you can use any card even if you’re using the Platinum credit for partial payment. E.g for a $30 ride you could use the $15 credit and then put the remaining $15 on your Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Do the first time use/referral bonuses stack with the American Express credit?
What Timezone Is Used?
According to the fine print credits are valid until day of that month, Hawaii Standard Time. It looks like you receive the following months credit earlier than that though (some people saw $30 in credit available with only one card). Here are some data points on the double credit: