Offer at a glance
- Interest Rate: 4%
- Minimum Balance: None
- Maximum Balance: $15,000
- Availability: Must live, work, worship, or attend school in llegan County, Barry County, Berrien County, Branch County, Calhoun County, Cass County, Kalamazoo County, St. Joseph County, and Van Buren County, Michigan. Relatives of members are also welcome to join.
- Direct deposit required: Yes, $500+
- Additional requirements: See below
- Hard/soft pull: Unknown
- Credit card funding: Unknown
- Monthly fees: None
- Insured: NCUA
- Kellogg Community Credit Union are offering an APY of 4% on balances up to $15,000 when you meet the following requirements each month:
- Direct deposit of at least $500 per month
- 4+ monthly online banking logins
- 20+ monthly debit card transactions
- Be enrolled in eStatements
- Enrolled in bill pay
The Fine Print
- APY=Annual Percentage Yield. 4.00% APY is earned on eChecking account deposit balances up to $15,000 per month.
- Rate subject to change.
- Must have a credit score of 640 or higher to qualify.
- No free checks offered with this account.
- Interest is calculated on an average daily balance for the month.
- Fees or other conditions may reduce earnings on this account.
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
I don’t think this account has any monthly fees to worry about.
4% APY on balances up to $15,000 is huge, they have offered this rate and account since at least mid 2015. In 2016 they actually had a $75 bonus from what I’ve been able to find out. Obviously the requirements for this bonus are quite strict but it’s easily one of the best high interest savings accounts with a big maximum balance.
If you have any experience with this bank or account, please share them in the comments below.
Hat tip to reader Geoffrey B
If anyone has a referal let me know. Im not in the county on their list, but live in michigan.
I finally applied for this. I got an email saying checking accounts have to be applied for in branch. I also called a few days later and got the same response when checking on the application. They said any credit card or loan account does not need to be opened in branch. Doesn’t look like I got a hard pull when submitting the online application. I planned to me the requirements by donating to st Joseph church in the diocese of Kalamazoo. https://www.osvonlinegiving.com/867
Were you able to get approved? Did the church give you a letter saying you are a member or worship there?
20 debit card purchases per month, wow. I could see 5 or 10, but 20?
You have to use these as primary account. Doing multiple charges in a couple of days with low amounts and such.. Which is basically the goal with MS will trigger your account and you don’t get the 4.25% rate.
Requires direct deposit as well.
KCCU has a new checking option which offers 4.25% on balances up to $7500. http://www.kelloggccu.org/personal/bank/checking/kasasa-checking-accounts
Page not found error.
Page Not Found (Error 404)
Link is not working. This is the correct link- https://www.kelloggccu.org/personal/bank/checking/4-echecking
ACH is good for Direct Deposit. Need to have $500 per month plus 20 debit card transactions. Opened an account last week and got everything setup. Must be local or do business in the area.
I’ll be stopping in later this week to get enrolled… I’ll see how this works out and report back.
Just a heads up that offer says “checking bonus”, but you have referred to it and categorized it as a “savings bonus”.
Yeah, it’s really a savings bonus though. Usually referred to as a rewards checking account, but makes more sense to call it a savings account for category reasons.