Published on April 9th, 2018 | by William Charles39
[Rumor/Leak] SPG + Marriott Joint Loyalty Details
There are two pieces of information regarding Marriott’s acquisition of Starwood Preferred Guest. Firstly they are having a big event on April 16th:
Flyertalk user coltonatx then shared the following information regarding the joint loyalty program:
- All members will earn 10 points per dollar spent
- There will be five status tiers:
- Silver status at 10 nights
- Gold status at 25 nights
- Platinum status at 50 nights
- Platinum Premier status at 75 nights
- Ambassador program at 100 nights and $20,000 in spend
- Free breakfast (unknown which status level) will be “expanded to 25 brands and resorts.”
Currently you need 25 nights for gold with SPG or 50 nights with Marriott. You need 50 nights for Platinum with SPG and 75 nights with Marriott. I doubt you’ll be able to get free breakfast or lounge access with gold status under the new program, I’d expect that at Platinum level or possibly even higher. I suspect the big event will be announcing all of this formally.
There are also some ramblings that direct transfers between Marriott & SPG will end on this April 16th date (sorry the rumblings are about SPG transfers to airlines ending, not SPG to Marriott & Vice Versa). Very unsure how accurate it is, but something to keep in mind. It’s also worth remembering that SPG/Marriott have already announced plans for co-branded cards with both Chase & American Express. If you’re looking for advice on what to do when it comes to the current cards, read this.