Published on October 6th, 2018 | by William Charles60
UMB Simply Rewards Visa Credit Card Review – 3x On Gas, Grocery, Discount, Restaurant & Fast Food [20,000 Sign Up Bonus]
Update 10/04/18: Card now comes with a 20,000 point sign up bonus. Hat tip to reader Vista9
UMB offers the Simply Rewards Visa credit card, reader David M sent me a lot of information regarding this card so I thought I’d review it.
- Card earns at the following rates:
- 3x points on gas stations, grocery stores, discount stores, restaurants & fast food
- 1x point on all other purchases
- Sign up bonus of 20,000 points after $1,500 in spend within three months
- Points expire after 5 years
- Points are worth 1¢ each and can be redeemed in increments of $20, $50 & $100 for gift cards or increments of $25 for statement credit [Update: Looks like points are actually worth 1.5¢ per point]
- Bank is inquiry sensitive (more than 5-6 inquiries and you’ll be denied)
- Bank is credit score sensitive (need a score above 700)
- Card is available to those within their service area (Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas). Might be available in other areas under a different label (e.g First National Bank offers same card. This comment covers other states)
There are cards that earn at a higher rate on gas station, grocery store and restaurant purchases but this is a pretty decent all around card. The problem is that you can earn 2%+ back on all purchases so an additional 1% cash back on some categories with no sign up bonus is most likely not worth it for most people.