Published on October 5th, 2018 | by William Charles53
Alaska Airlines 40,000 Miles Offer
Update 10/07/18: Anybody can now get this offer. Read this post for more details.
Update 10/5/18: This offer is showing up on the front page of alaskaair.com. Apparently it’s showing up for those on the West Coast only, you should be able to use a VPN to get the offer to show (although I wouldn’t apply using the VPN. Once you get to the application page you should be able to disconnect). Hat tip to reader David & FM,
Update 10/04/18: Seems like another round of people are targeted. Hat tip to MtM
Update: Originally posted this as public, but that link was only working once you’d been redirected from the real working link. The issue with the real working link is that it has a unique parameter that looks like it’s the Alaska mileage number. It doesn’t prefill that section but I’d be worried it won’t work unless you were actually targeted (update: Doesn’t seem to matter).
No direct link, targeted offer sent via e-mail. Subject line is ‘<your state>, get a 40,000 bonus mile offer for a limited time only’
- Sign up for the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature credit card and receive a sign up bonus of 40,000 miles after you make $2,000 in purchases within the first 90 days. You also get a buy one ticket, get one ticket for just taxes and fees.
- Annual fee of $75 is not waived
- Card earns at the following rates:
- 3x miles per $1 spent on Alaska Airlines tickets, vacation packages, and cargo purchases
- 1x miles on all other purchases
- They will sometimes approve you for a Platinum Plus Visa or Preferred Visa card which has different annual fees and sign up bonus
- Free checked bag for you and up to six other passengers on your reservation
- No foreign transaction fees
Companion Fare Details
This card currently has a limited time offer. Where you get a free companion fare (you just pay taxes and fees). To receive this free companion fare you must spend $2,000 within the first 90 days of account opening (this is also required for the 40,000 mile bonus). It’s weird because they say it’s buy one get one free rather than a companion ticket at the top of the offer.
From year two onwards you also receive a companion fare, but you must pay $99 and taxes and fees. There are some rules to keep in mind for the companion ticket:
- Can be used towards one round-trip coach fare on Alaska Airlines or Virgin America
- Must purchase a paid (e.g no award tickets allowed) published coach airfare on the same itinerary booked at the same time
- Must be booked on alaskaair.com
- Code is automatically applied to the primary cardholders Alaska Airlines My account profile
Previous best bonus was 30,000 miles + $100 statement credit. This offer is just an extra 10,000 miles without the $100 statement credit, I think most people would prefer this offer if they value Alaska miles. Overall I think this is a very strong offer if you value Alaska miles and I’ll be adding this to the best credit card sign up bonuses. Before applying for this or any other Bank of America card, I’d recommend reading this post detailing everything you should know about their credit cards.