Published on October 9th, 2015 | by Chuck25
Amex Offers: $10 Off $200 on Amex Gift Cards, 5% Discount Everywhere Until Year’s End
- Spend $200 or more on Amex gift cards at americanexpress.com/gift, pay with your registered Amex card, and receive a $10 statement credit.
This offer is available with by tweeting #AmexGift with a connected Twitter account or by saving it in your Amex login.
The Fine Print
- Expires 12/31/15
- Offer valid online only at americanexpress.com/gift; not valid in-store
- If you order an item during the offer period but it is not provided until after 12/31/2015 it may not count for this offer (more about that here)
- Excludes logo & gift cheque purchases
This offer comes up often and it can be a great deal since you’d be getting 5% off, plus the regular credit card rewards as well. The biggest problem here is that Amex gift cards come with fees attached. Let’s take a look:
Shipping fee of $8.95, but if you have the premium shipping plan with Amex, the shipping is free. And you can get a 90-day free trial.
- Purchase fee of $3.95, but you can use a promo code to try getting this fee waived; these codes come and go. 1) Until the end of October you can use code: PFWED to waive the purchase fee. 2) Until 2/28/16 you can use code: EMSVCA. (HT: deelighted) 3) On business gift cards, until 12/20/15 you can use code: OCTPNL. (HT: Aahz) We’ll try to update this page with other codes as they become available. Please let us know if you see any codes.
If you can get the cards completely fee-free then you’ll be netting the $10 offer credit, or 5%, by purchasing $200 Amex gift cards with each of your registered Amex cards. They can also make a great gift for the upcoming holiday season.
Bear in mind, however, that you may be losing by paying with your registered Amex card versus paying with a credit card that earns higher rewards. For example, if you buy a $200 Amex gift cards on the Amex Blue Cash card you’re only getting back 1% in rewards, versus the 2% you could have earned on that spend by using a 2% card. In the end, you’re only gaining $8 per offer, not $10.
If you don’t have the free shipping plan, choose the personalized gift card option and you’ll be able to order a gift card in the amount of $198 which will be eligible for the cheaper $2 shipping fee.
See these posts to learn more about Amex Offers:
- AmEx Offers: An Introduction & Profitable Examples
- How To Sign Up For Multiple American Express Sync Offers
- Amex Offer Credit Not Posting, What to Do?