The Chase Fairmont credit card is of more interest to people given that it’s one of the few Chase cards that doesn’t currently fall under the Chase 5/24 rule. Because of this we’ve done a comprehensive review you can view below.
The Fairmont Visa Signature Credit Card is issued by Chase. In this review we will be looking at the benefits & negatives to this card and who it’s best suited to. Along with the minimum credit score we’d recommend you have before applying.
- 1 Application Information
- 2 Rewards Program
- 3 Card Benefits
- 4 Maximizing The Bonus
- 5 Our Verdict
- 6 F.A.Q’s & Tips
What Credit Score Is Required
|Credit Boards||Credit Karma|
|Lowest approved score||700||No information|
|Average approved score||752||No information|
There are only two data points listed for the Chase Fairmont card on the credit boards credit pull application. As such it’s difficult to get a good read on what credit score is required. This is one of Chase’s premium card offers so we’d recommend having a score of at least 700 before applying, a score of 720+ should see the majority of applications being approved. If you’re unfamiliar with how credit scoring works, we’d recommend reading this article.
If you’re denied for this card, make sure you call the Chase reconsideration line to plead your case. Here are some tips if you’ve never called them before.
What Credit Bureau Does Chase Pull For The Fairmont Card?
What Credit Limit Will I Receive?
As we mentioned before, there are only two data points for this card. Also keep in mind that it’s possible to move your credit limit around with your Chase cards.
This card earns Fairmont rewards points which can be redeemed for award nights at Fairmont locations.
This card earns at the following rates on purchases:
- 5x on all Fairmont stays
- 2x on all airline tickets purchased directly from the airlines, at car rental agencies, and on transit and commuting
- 1x on all other purchases
You’ll also receive a free night if you spend $12,000 or more in a calendar year. In addition you’ll earn 1 stay credit towards status for every $7,500 spent (limit of two per calendar year).
Sign Up Bonus
Current Sign Up Bonus
- 30th, January 2014 – Current: Two free nights after you spend $3,000 annual fee of $95 waived for first year
The free nights can be used on any stay as long as a standard room is available for cash. There are also a number of blackout details and special capacity controls for certain hotels. You can read more here.
Sign Up Bonus History
- ?? – 30th, January 2014: Two free nights after you spend $1,000 annual fee $95 not waived
- May 8th, 2012 – : Two free nights after you spend $1,000 within the first three months, annual fee of $95 waived
Redeeming Your Rewards
Fairmont points can be redeemed for free hotel night stays at Fairmont properties. The number of points needed is dependent on which collection of hotel it falls under (A-D) and type of room you’re after (Standard, Junior Suite or Fairmont Gold/Suite). You can view this information on the Chase website found here. Unfortunately you need to have a Fairmont card & Chase account to view this award chart. For ease of use we’ve added it below.
You can determine which hotel is part of which collection by viewing the complete list here. Obviously you’ll get the highest value out of using your free night certifications on collection D properties.
You can also redeem for gift certificates at a rate of 1 point = 1 cent. Similarly you can make donations to charity with the same valuations.
This card comes with three status benefits:
- Automatic Premier status when the card is approved, lasts for as long as the card remains in good standing. This is only good for the primary cardholder and not authorized users.
- Earn one stay towards Platinum status for every $7,500 you spend on the card (up to a maximum of two stays per calendar year)
- If you’re an existing Premier or Platinum status member (from paid stays, not valid for status from this credit card) you’ll receive one gold upgrade certificate as well as dining certificates (2 x $25 for Premier members and 4 x $25 for Platinum members)
Let’s see what these statues actually get you as a Fairmont member. Stay/night requirements must be completed within one calendar year. There are three different levels of status with Fairmont:
- Club. This is the base level, no stay requirement.
- Premier. Middle level, 5 stays or 10 nights required.
- Platinum. Highest level, 10 stays or 30 nights required.
Premier status (free with the credit card) gives you the following benefits:
- 750 airline miles on qualifying stays
- 1 complimentary room upgrade
- 1 complimentary suite upgrade
- $50 Fairmont dining (lunch & dinner) or Willow Stream Spa e-certificates
- 1 Complimentary third night on a three-night stay (cannot be used with your free night certificates)
Probably the biggest benefits from sign up bonus chasers are the two room upgrades and also the dining certificates.
- 1,000 airline miles on qualifying stays
- 2 complimentary room upgrade
- 2 complimentary suite upgrade
- $100 Fairmont dining (lunch & dinner) or Willow Stream Spa e-certificates
- 1 Complimentary night
- Free welcome amenity
The suite/room upgrades are great as well as the $100 in dining certificates. The real killer is the free night though.
You used to also receive an additional two $25 Fairmont dining certificates available for breakfast, this is no longer available.
Maximizing The Bonus
After you sign up and complete the minimum spend requirements, you should have the following:
- Two free night certificates
- 2 x $25 Fairmont dining (lunch & dinner) or Willow Stream Spa e-certificates (from Premier status)
- 1 room upgrade
- 1 suite upgrade
You can apply the suite/room upgrades to your free night certificates. They apply to a single stay which can be up to five consecutive nights, meaning you can apply your suite upgrade and be upgraded for both of your free nights. Basically what you want to look for when booking the room is as follows:
- Standard room available (you need this to book using your free night certificates), this cannot be gold or deluxe, it needs to be a standard room
- Suite/room you want to upgrade into also be available. Obviously if it’s not then you won’t be able to use your suite upgrade
You’d basically be getting a suite room at any Fairmont and also $50 in dining certificates/Willow Stream Spa certificates. I think it might also be possible to double dip on the dining certificates because they are issued on a calendar year basis and expire the following year on February 28th/29th, Fairmont says that certificates cannot be used before March 1st of the issuing year but I’m not sure how strictly this is enforced.
The main attraction of this card is the sign up bonus and the fact that it doesn’t currently fall under the Chase 5/24 rules. I think it presents pretty good value if you want to stay at one of the unique luxurious properties that Fairmont offers, if you bundle it with the dining certificates as well you can have a nice stay on the cheap.
It probably also makes sense for the few people that stay at Fairmonts often due to the high earning rate, elite bonuses and also the free night bonus after $12,000 in spend.
We Recommend This Card For:
- Those who regularly stay at Fairmont properties
- Those who want two free nights at luxury properties [here are some other options]
We Don’t Recommend This Card For:
- People looking for a lot of free night stays at hotels [here are some alternatives]
- Those looking for a card that earns at high rate on every day purchases
F.A.Q’s & Tips
Can you combine your free night certificates you earn with the credit card and your free night certificate you earn from being platinum into one three night stay?
Yes, this is possible.
How long are the free night certificates valid for?
They are valid for one year after they post to your account. Fairmont has the ability to extend the length of these but it is rarely done.
Can I get the annual free night certificate without paying the annual fee?
No. This is not possible. Also keep in mind the $12,000 spending requirement.
When you use your free night certificates, do they count towards the stay requirements for status?
How long does it take for the free night certificates to post to your account after the minimum spend has been reached?
The fine print says Chase has 4-6 weeks after your minimum spend requirement has been reached. In practice the free night certificates usually post faster. You can try sending a secured message to Chase to get these certificates to post faster but if it hasn’t been six weeks they’ll usually just send a cookie cutter e-mail stating that length of time.
Can I transfer my free night certificates to somebody else?
You can transfer them to any immediate family but you need to have platinum status to do so.
Can I use the third night free benefit from Premier status with my free night certificates?
It would be amazing if you could, as it would mean the two free nights were actually three free nights but unfortunately this is not possible.
What can I use the dining certificates for?
You can obviously use them for dining options at Fairmont’s, depending on the hotel itself they often let you use them for other things as well (e.g in room dining or at the bar). It really just seems to be how strict individual hotels are. The certificates must be used in $25 increments, so if you only spend $4 you’d need to use a full $25 certificate to pay.
What happens when I obtain Premier/Platinum status during a year I already have the credit card?
According to this post on Flyertalk, you won’t get the gold certificate until the following year.