Published on December 1st, 2016 | by Chuck7
Giant/Stop&Shop: 2x Fuel Points on Visa Gift Cards
- Earn 2x gas points when you purchase Visa gift cards at Giant and Stop&Shop
Gift cards generally don’t earn fuel points at all at Giant/S&S, but on occasions like this they’ll release an offer to get points for gift card purchases.
The Fine Print
- Valid 12/2 – 12/8 (starts tomorrow, Friday)
- Must use store card to get and redeem points
Gas Points Details
Giant/S&S revised their fuel points program on August 9, 2016 with a limit of 20 gallons (at least in some areas) and a max of $1.50 discount. Here are the updated details:
Every 100 points gets you 10¢ off per gallon at Shell, up to 20 gallons. If you have 1000 points, you’ll get $1 off. If you have 1500 points, you’ll get $1.50 off per gallon.
- Max discount in some areas is $1.50. In other areas, there might not be any max.
- You have 30 days to use the points. The day of purchase is Day #1.
- Points can only be used at partner Shell stations. You can redeem the points in a different area from where you got the points, but only if that Shell station is a partner. Check out the gas locator for Stop & Shop and for Giant for exact listings of which Shell stations are included.
- See the FAQ for more details. Some of the details vary by area and store.
- Points usually are available immediately, but I’ve had on occasion where it took a day until they showed up and were usable.
- Pro tip: Use a Shell gift card and you’ll usually get the cash price; it’s especially worthwhile to get the lower cash price when using fuel points.
Stop&Shop/Giant now allow the use of credit cards to buy Visa/MC/Amex gift cards, making this a good deal again.
For each tank of gas you’ll be using within the next month buy $750 worth of Visa gift cards to get the full 1500 points for $1.50 off per gallon. I expect to use around 4 tanks of gas in the coming month so I’ll buy $3,000 worth of gift cards. Purchase again on December 8 (the final day of this deal) to have some points for longer.
[In unrelated news, I noticed advertised in the weekly ad that you can buy Metrocards with no added fee at Stop&Shop in NYC. Might be useful for racking up grocery points on your subway card (although you might want to use CSR instead).]
Hat tip to dannydealguru