- Earn 4x gas points when you purchase merchant gift cards at Giant and Stop&Shop
Looks like this promotion will apply to all third-party merchant gift cards. [Update: A reader says it didn’t work on Sears gift cards, so this might be only for the pictured gift cards.]
Gift cards generally don’t earn fuel points at all at Giant/S&S, but on occasions like this they’ll release an offer to get points for gift card purchases.
The Fine Print
- Excludes S&S/Giant gift cards and excludes Visa/MC/Amex gift cards
- Valid 2/9 – 12/16
- Must use store card to get and use points
Gas Points Details
Giant/S&S revised their fuel points program on August 9, 2016. Here are the updated details:
Every 100 points gets you 10¢ off per gallon at Shell, up to 20 gallons. If you have 1000 points, you’ll get $1 off. If you have 1500 points, you’ll get $1.50 off per gallon.
- Max discount in some areas is $1.50. In other areas, there might not be any max.
- You have 30 days to use the points. The day of purchase is Day #1.
- Points can only be used at partner Shell stations. You can redeem the points in a different area from where you got the points, but only if that Shell station is a partner. Check out the gas locator for Stop & Shop and for Giant for exact listings of which Shell stations are included.
- See the FAQ for more details. Some of the details vary by area and store.
- Points usually are available immediately, but I’ve had on occasion where it took a day until they showed up and were usable.
- Pro tip: Use a Shell gift card and you’ll usually get the cash price; it’s especially worthwhile to get the lower cash price when using fuel points.
Nice deal in time for holiday gift card buying. If you can max out the gas discount, $375 in gift cards will get you 1500 points which gives you $30 off a tank.
Hat tip to DDG