This deal has expired, you can view more checking bonuses here.
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $250
- Availability: Nationwide, but restricted eligibility
- Direct deposit required: Yes, $500+
- Additional requirements: Minimum opening deposit of $25
- Hard/soft pull: Hard
- ChexSystems: Yes, also inquiry sensitive
- Credit card funding: Yes, up to $1,000. Visa & Mastercard only.
- Monthly fees: $0 – $8, waiveable
- Early account termination fee: Unknown
- Expiration date: December 31, 2016
- Open a Justice FCU checking account with direct deposit of $500 or more and receive a $250 cash bonus
Joining Justice FCU
- Employees, retirees, and family members of the entities listed at this link are eligible to join Justice Federal Credit Union (including the Department of Justice, Department of Homeland Security, and many other Justice-related entities)
- According to user Gadget, you can join the National Sheriff’s Association (NSA) as an auxiliary member or student for $40 and parlay that membership into Justice FCU membership, making this offer open to anyone.
- To establish membership with Justice FCU, you must open a Share Savings Account with a minimum deposit of $5
The Fine Print
- Must open a new Justice Federal Freedom, Justice National, or Beyond the Badge (age 55+) checking account
- Must have a minimum opening deposit of $25
- Your account must be open and in good standing when the bonus is paid to your new checking account upon receipt of your direct deposit
- Cash bonus is not considered part of the opening deposit and will be reported to the IRS for tax purposes.
- Have at least one direct deposit of a paycheck, pension payment, Social Security payment, or other government benefits payment electronically deposited into your new checking account from an employer or outside agency within 90 days of opening the account
- Direct deposit must be from a new source that is not already being deposited into a Justice Federal Checking Account
- Offer Limited to one $250 Cash Bonus per Member
Freedom Checking Account – No Monthly Fee
The Freedom Checking Account has no monthly fee.
Justice National Checking Account & Beyond the Badge Checking Account
There is a $1.00 monthly fee for mailed statements, unless you opt-in to eStatements.
Early Account Termination Fee
There is no stated early account termination fee for checking accounts, but if you close the Share Savings Account within 12 months of opening, you will be charged $5.
This is a mostly excellent bonus due to the high bonus total ($250), relatively moderate direct deposit requirement ($500), no minimum balance requirement to keep an account fee-free, high credit card funding limit ($1,000), and the fact that it is open to anyone (for $40). However, the cost of a hard pull is a real downside—for most people, trading in a hard pull for $210 (taxable, so really more like $157.50 at most) is probably not a great option (especially given the inquiry-sensitive nature of Justice FCU, making a decline a very real possibility).
If you have any experiences with this offer or any other of the checking promos we’ve posted recently, please contact us!
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank