Published on January 3rd, 2019 | by William Charles11
Recap: Resort Fees, Welcome To Scotland & More
- Interesting data point from reader Mangoceviche saying they were able to churn the Avianca card. This goes against other previous data points. Keep in mind they were pre-selected for the 60,000 offer a second time.
- If you thought the Marriott Bonvoy rebranding was bad, check this out from Scotland tourism in 2007. They spent £125,000 to come up with a new slogan and the winner was ‘Welcome to Scotland’.
- Warby Parker Cybersecurity Attack Affects 198,000 Accounts by PYMNTS. That didn’t take long, first breach of 2019.
Starting to see some New York City hotels reach tipping point where the additional “resort fee” is approaching the room rate. $40/$51. Sad. Results in misleading advertising by hotels that is amplified by dishonest sites sharing non-existent deals.
— Extreme Hotel Deals (@ExtremeHotDeal) January 2, 2019
The solution to resort fees/destination fees is simple. If a charge is mandatory it should be listed in the first price consumers see. At the moment hotels are using resort fees to skirt pay commissions to online travel agencies. In addition when one property in area starts doing it then other properties are almost forced to follow their lead otherwise they look more expensive at first glance. I said this on Twitter but the hotel industry often talks about self regulation but it’s blatantly obvious that they aren’t capable of it.
Deals expiring at the end of today or starting today (view the full deal calendar here):
Deals expiring at end of tomorrow:
- [CPC Customers, Targeted] Chase Business Total Checking $750 In Branch Bonus
- [CT, DE, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT] Citizens Bank $200/$400 Checking Bonus + $100 Savings Bonus
- Safeway: Save on $15 When You Buy 2 $100 Visa Giftcards [Vons, Randall’s, Albertsons, Tom Thumb, Acme, Jewel, Shaw’s 11/28-12/4]
- Hilton Q1 2019 Promotion: 2,000 Points Per Stay Plus 10,000 Bonus Points Per 5 Stays/10 Nights