Deal has ended, view more American Express deals by clicking here.
Update 7/16/23: There’s a new targeted offer for 50,000 points with the same requirements. The older offer for 30,000 is still around at this link and is possibly publicly available.
Update 5/24/23: Deal is back through December 31st. There’s now a public landing page. Hopefully this offer now works for everyone, let us know. (ht Thomas)
American Express business cardholders – check your emails for the following offer (subject: Welcome offer enclosed. <your name>, American Express Global Pay is now available)
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards points after you make at least $5,000 equivalent of foreign exchange payments within 90 days of being approved for American Express Global Pay.
- You’ll also get 1 point per $30 sent on an ongoing basis.
The Fine Print
- You can earn 30,000 Membership Rewards points after you make at least $5,000 equivalent of foreign exchange payments within 90 days of being approved for American Express Global Pay. To be eligible for this offer, your application for American Express Global Pay must be received by December 31, 2022. This offer is only valid for foreign exchange payments for goods or services. It is not valid for same currency transactions (e.g., U.S. Dollar to U.S. Dollar). For example, if you order a payment in the amount of EURO 4,200 within 90 days of being approved for American Express Global Pay, and if we charge you USD $5,000 for those EUROS, then you will be eligible to receive the one-time bonus award of 30,000 points. This exchange rate is for illustration purposes only.
- American Express will award one (1) Membership Rewards point for every USD $30 equivalent of foreign exchange payments that your business sends using American Express Global Pay. The maximum award per payment is 4,000 Membership Rewards points. This offer is only valid for foreign exchange payments. It is not valid for same currency transactions (e.g. U.S. Dollar to U.S. Dollar), and it is not valid for any other products. For example, if you order a payment in the amount of EURO 10,000, and if we charge you USD $11,000 for those EUROS, then we will award 367 Membership Rewards points (11,000 divided by 30 = 367 points). This exchange rate is for illustration purposes only.
- In order to benefit from this offer, your business must first designate an existing American Express Card that is enrolled in the Membership Rewards program to which we will award the Membership Rewards points. The Card must be linked to the same User ID as your American Express Global Pay account. Once we award points to the Card Member’s Membership Rewards program, the Card Member decides how to redeem those points, not you. It is your responsibility as well as the designated Card Member’s responsibility, to find out if you are, or the designated Card Member is, liable for any federal, state or local taxes as a result of receiving or using points. You are also responsible for tax information reporting, if any, that is required in connection with the receipt or use of points by the designated Card Member.
- In order to benefit from this offer, your American Express Global Pay account and the designated American Express Card must be in good standing at all times, including the time of points fulfillment. No Membership Rewards points will be awarded for payments made through American Express Global Pay before we complete the processing of your request to designate an American Express Card to receive the points. In the event a designated American Express Card is canceled for any reason before we award the 30,000 bonus points, we may allow you to designate a different American Express Card to receive the bonus points. This offer cannot be combined with any other Membership Rewards related offer. If we find that you have abused this offer, we may cancel this offer and any points awarded pursuant to this offer.
I got an email with this offer, not sure how widely it’s been sent out. The ongoing earn rate is probably dwarfed by the fees. The initial welcome bonus looks interesting, though. It looks like fees are waived for the first 90 days, so this might be an easy-ish way of netting 30,000+ Membership Rewards points if you have a foreign vendor to pay. Let us know how this works out, in practice, if you try.