Update 9/19/20: Deal is back, but contains the following targeted language again (emphasis mine) ‘Offer is valid through November 20, 2020, for those who received a promotional email or mailer.’
Update 7/26/20: Deal is back, doesn’t contain targeted language any longer. In addition it seems possible to get this bonus if you’ve had a TD Bank account before. Normally it states ‘who do not have an existing or prior personal checking account at TD Bank’, this bonus states ‘…offer is available to new personal checking Customers who do not have an existing or prior personal checking account at TD Bank within the preceding 12 months and complete the required qualifying criteria’. Hat tip to reader Michael L.
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $500
- Availability:CT, DC, DE, FL, MD, ME, MA, NC, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, SC, VT, & VA
- Direct deposit required: Yes, $500+ for $150 bonus or $2,500 for $300 bonus
- Additional requirements: See below
- Hard/soft pull: Soft
- ChexSystems: Unknown
- Credit card funding: Up to $1,000 (a lot of cards process as cash advance)
- Monthly fees: Up to $25, waive-able
- Early account termination fee: Six months, bonus forfeit
- Household Limit: None mentioned
- Expiration date:
March 13th, 2019 May 8th, 2019September 18th, 2020
- TD Bank is offering a bonuses of up to $500, bonuses are broken down as follows:
- $300 Premier Checking Bonus
- Open Premier checking account and make $2,500 in direct deposits within the first 60 days
- $150 Convenience Checking:
- Open Convenience checking account and make $500 in direct deposits within the first 90 days
- $200 Simple/Beyond Savings Bonus:
- Deposit $20,000 or more in new money within 20 days and maintain that balance for 90 days
- $300 Premier Checking Bonus
The Fine Print
- Offer valid July 24, 2020 through September 18, 2020 and is available only when opening through a qualifying website.
- Checking offer is available to new personal checking Customers who do not have an existing or prior personal checking account at TD Bank within the preceding 12 months and complete the required qualifying criteria.
- $300 bonus offer available to eligible new personal checking Customers when opening a TD Beyond Checking account with cumulative direct deposit funds of $2,500 or more into the new checking account within 60 days of account opening.
- $150 bonus available to eligible new personal checking Customers when opening a TD Convenience CheckingSM account with cumulative direct deposit funds of $500 or more into the new checking account within 60 days of account opening.
- Qualifying direct deposits include your paycheck, pension, government benefits (such as Social Security), or other eligible regular monthly income from your employer or the government electronically deposited into your checking account.
- Person-to-person and bank transfers between your TD Bank accounts or accounts you have at other financial institutions or brokerages do not qualify.
- Savings offer is available to new personal savings Customers who do not have an existing or prior personal savings or money market account at TD Bank within the preceding 12 months and complete the required qualifying criteria.
- $200 bonus offer available to eligible new personal savings Customers who open a TD Preferred Savings or TD Simple Savings account (CDs, IRAs and Money Market accounts excluded) and deposit $20,000 or more in new money within 20 calendar days of account opening and maintain a minimum daily balance of $20,000 for at least 90 days from the date the deposit requirement is met. New money is funds that are not currently held in a TD Bank retail deposit account. Broker, municipal, commercial and small business deposits are not included.
- Once the offer criterion is met, the bonus will be credited to the new personal checking and/or personal savings account no later than 140 days from account opening. Account(s) must remain open, active, in good standing and in the same product type through the qualifying period to receive the bonus.
- If either checking or savings account is closed by the Customer or TD Bank within 6 months after account opening, TD Bank does reserve the right to deduct the bonus amount from that account at closing.
- TD Bank may issue you an IRS Form 1099-MISC, or other appropriate forms reporting the value of the bonus.
- Offer may be withdrawn at any time and is subject to change.
- One bonus per account per Customer and cannot be combined with any other offer.
- In the event any of the above-mentioned checking or savings accounts are no longer for sale, offer is transferable to an equal tier account. TD Bank employees and Canadian cross-border banking Customers are not eligible.
TD Convenience Checking $15 Monthly Fee
This is waived if you have a minimum daily balance of $100.
TD Premier Checking $25 Monthly Fee
This is waived if you have a minimum daily balance of $2,500.
TD Beyond Savings $15 Monthly Fee
This account has a $15 monthly fee, this is waived if you have a $20,000 minimum daily balance.
TD Simple Savings $5 Monthly Fee
This account has no monthly fee for the first year and after that period a $5 fee is charged if a monthly minimum of $300 or less.
Early Account Termination Fee
In their online fee schedule, there is no mention of an early account termination fee. The fine print does say the accounts need to be kept open for 6 months or the bonus is forfeit though.
Previously this was targeted, now it’s available in selected states. In fact you can do this bonus even if you’ve done a TD Bank bonus before. Savings bonus should be worth doing as you only need $20,000 in the account for 90 days and no monthly fee to worry about in the first year. That works out to be an effective interest rate of 4%+. The checking bonus is also worth doing.
I’d recommend doing this ASAP as it’s the best bonus we’ve seen from TD Bank and it also seems like they are letting people do it again. We’ve never seen that before either so I’d be worried they will pull this bonus early. We will add this to our list of the best bank account bonuses.
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times
- Update 2/5/20: Deal is back and valid until March 23rd, 2020. Still targeted.
- Update 10/31/19: Deal is back and valid until December 31st, 2019. Hat tip to DDG
- Update 7/11/19: Deal is back and valid until 8/21
- Update 3/21/19: Offer is back and valid until May 8th, 2019. Still targeted unfortunately. Hat tip to readers Amish M &