Published on September 8th, 2016 | by Chuck362
[Expired] U.S. Bank $150 Checking Bonus + Additional $50 Credit Card Bonus
[Originally posted on June 28th, reposting on September 8th because offer expires tomorrow.]
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $150
- Availability: Nationwide
- Direct deposit required: Optional
- Additional requirements: Direct deposits totaling $500 or two bill payments
- Hard/soft pull: Soft (chex inquiry will be done)
- Credit card funding: Yes, up to $500
- Monthly fees: $0 – $8.98, waivable
- Early account termination fee: None
- Expiration date:
August 12th, 2016September 9th, 2016
Receive a sign-up bonus of $150 when you complete the following requirements:
- Open a new U.S. Bank consumer Silver Checking Package, Gold Checking Package or Platinum Checking Package.
- Complete one or more direct deposits totaling at least $500, OR complete two or make two Bill Pay transactions of $25+ each. This requirement must be completed within 60 days of account opening.
Using the link above, you’ll enter an email address to get a unique coupon code which comes quickly. This code can then be used online, over the phone, or in-branch to open a checking account with $150 bonus.
$50 Credit Card Bonus
If you do all the criteria to get the checking bonus offer, you’ll then be eligible for an additional $50 bonus when getting approved for a U.S. Bank credit card.
- Apply for a U.S. Bank consumer credit card by
August 12, 2016September 9th, 2016
- Make two purchases of $25 or more within 60 days of account opening
You’ll get $50 as a statement credit. This is in addition to any points you get as the ordinary signup bonus on the card.
You don’t open the credit card together with the checking account. Just open the checking, then before August 12 open any personal/consumer credit card using a regular online application (no special link needed), and you’ll be eligible for the $50 bonus.
Qualifying U.S. Bank Consumer Credit Cards: Cash+ Visa Signature, Cash+ Visa Platinum, Cash 365 American Express, FlexPerks Select+ American Express, FlexPerks Select Rewards Visa, Visa Platinum, FlexPerks Travel Rewards Visa Signature & FlexPerks Gold American Express.
A reader points out that the terms indicate that the $50 bonus can not be combined with any other credit card offers. It might be that they are included standard signup bonuses. If true, you’ll end up getting the signup bonus but not the extra $50.
The Fine Print
- Bonus will be deposited into your new Checking Account within 60 days of Direct Deposit or Bill Pay verification
- Bonus will be reported as interest earned on IRS form 1099-INT
- Offer is not valid if you have an existing U.S. Bank consumer checking account, had a U.S. Bank consumer checking account in the last six months, or received other U.S. Bank bonus offers in 2016
Credit Card Offer
- Cards that do not qualify: College Visa, Secured Visa and any other credit card not listed above
- One credit card offer per person, per household is permitted
- Cannot be combined with any other credit card offers except the “Easy as 1,2,3” bonus offer, which is only available at any U.S. Bank branch
- Allow 6–8 weeks after you have met the promotional criteria for your statement credit to appear on your new U.S. Bank credit card account statement
- Offers are available to all legal residents of the United States and the District of Columbia who are 18 years or older
- Subject to credit approval
U.S bank has three checking products which qualify for this promotion:
- Silver Checking Account
- Gold Checking Account
- Platinum Checking account
Probably the easiest way to keep this fee free is to open the Gold Checking account; if you have a U.S Bank credit card then the monthly fees on this account are waived.
If you don’t have a U.S Bank credit card and aren’t planning on getting one, your best bet is to open the Silver checking account which has of $8.95 ($6.95 if you enroll in paperless statements).
Fee is waived if you do these three things:
- Go paperless
- Open a Package Money Market Savings account
- Do one of these two things:
- Have combined direct deposits totaling $1,000 or more, OR
- Maintain an average monthly balance of $1,500
Early Termination Fee
U.S Bank used to charge an early account termination fee, but they no longer charge this fee.
All-in-all, it’s a solid bonus: no hard pull, $500 in credit card funding, and it’s a $200 bonus total with the credit card.
Of course, applying for the credit card will result in a hard pull. See 20 Things Everybody Should Know About US Bank Credit Cards before applying.
Hat tip to Maximizingmoney