Published on October 3rd, 2016 | by William Charles88
USAA Limitless Credit Card Review – 2.5% Cash Back On All Purchases
USAA has launched a pilot program for a new credit card called ‘limitless’. Let’s take a look at this new card offering.
Here are the basics of the card:
- Card earns at the following rates:
- 2.5% cash back on all purchases if you have a $1,000 monthly direct deposit into your USAA checking account
- 1.5% cash back on all purchases if you don’t receive the monthly direct deposit
- No annual fee
- No sign up bonus
- Chip & PIN
- No foreign transaction fees
- You must be a USAA member to apply for the card
You’re eligible if you fit in these categories:
- Active, retired and honorably separated officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. military.
- Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).
- Adult children whose eligible parents have or had a USAA auto or property insurance product.
- Widows and widowers of USAA members who have or had a USAA auto or property insurance policy.
You can find more information here.
This is a pilot program and only available in select states at the moment, currently it’s available in:
- AL, AR, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MD, MI, MN, MT, ND, NM, NV, NY, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX and WA
Here are some data points on what credit limits people have been receiving:
This card would be your best option for non-category spend (apart from the Discover it Miles, that offers 3% cash back for the first year). Obviously this is a loss leader for USAA, but they would be trying to make that money back on the checking account that requires the $1,000 direct deposit. Most other financial institutions have used bank account bonuses instead, but Fidelity also loses money on their 2% card but still come out ahead as cardholders have larger Fidelity deposits than non-cardholders. I suspect USAA will need to add some limits to this card to make it sustainable, but the limited membership might make this unnecessary.
If anybody has some screenshots or additional information, please share them in the comments below.
You might also be interested in our reviews of other USAA cards:
- USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express Review, 5% Cash Back On Gas & Military Base Spend
- USAA Secured Platinum Card Review