Published on February 7th, 2019 | by Chuck95
[Update] Citi $100/10,000 Points Referral Bonus on Double Cash, ThankYou, and American Airlines Cards
Update 2/7/19: Be sure to check that the bonus information is showing properly with any email offer. A reader was told by Citi that the Citi Double Cash signup offer for the new member is expired: referrer still gets the $100 bonus, but new member gets nothing.
Update 2/1/19: A new round of referral offers were sent out now via email. You can only refer if you were targeted. Feel free to leave referrals here. Do not leave referrals or referral requests in the comments of this post.
Update 11/3/18: The links are now being sent out via e-mail. The e-mail itself mentions the 24 month language, but the application links don’t. I’d be surprised if 24 month language doesn’t apply, but you never know when it comes to Citi.
Update 11/1/18: Offer is now being sent out via email (via Reddit). You click the link in the email and input the referral information.
When logging into Citicards, many people are seeing a referral bonus page pop up with offers such as:
- Get $100 when referring a friend to Citi Double Cash. Max 5 referrals over the next 12 months.
- Get 10,000 ThankYou points when referring a friend to Citi ThankYou Premier card. Max 5 referrals over the next 12 months.
- Get 10,000 American Airlines miles when referring a friend to Citi AA Platinum Select card. Max 5 referrals over the next 12 months.
They do have odd/interesting terms whereby you first enroll, then YOU – the referrer – spends $500, and then you can get the bonus for each referral.
The signup offers for the new member are as follows:
- Citi double cash: $125 after $625 in spend within the first three months (good offer if you’re also getting the $100 from the referral; previous best has been $150)
- Citi American Airlines Platinum select: 50,000 miles after $3,000 in spend within three months (better offer available here)
- Citi ThankYou Premier: 60,000 points after $5,000 in spend within 4 months.
The Fine Print
- After you spend $500 in a 12-month period beginning from date of enrollment, you will receive a bonus Cash Back award of $100 for each friend you refer through this Refer-a-friend offer.
- Bonus Cash Back will post to your account within 1-2 billing cycles.
- You are limited to a maximum of 20 referrals and 5 bonus awards per 12 month period beginning from your enrollment date. (I interpret this to mean that you can send up to 20 referrals, after which point the system won’t allow you to send any more. But you can only earn a bonus on up to 5 who actually use the referral.)
You can only refer if you are targeted specifically by Citi either via email or by popup when you login into your online Citi account. Feel free to leave referrals here. Do not leave referrals or referral requests in the comments of this post.