Published on October 3rd, 2018 | by William Charles235
[Update] Additional Details Regarding Premier Rewards Gold Card Update: Sign Up Bonus, Annual Fee & More
Update: 10/04/18: Card is now live, more details here.
Update 10/03/18: Many people saw a popup today in their login with bit more info on the card design: “NEW: Sleek metal card design in Gold or Limited Edition Rose Gold, only until 1/9”. Apparently, the special card design is a special thing as part of the launch. (The links error out.) Hat tip to readers Alan an Neil.
Update: Reader Pattpong12 was trying to applying for the current card and it looks like they were shown the new Gold card page. Unfortunately it errored out when trying to apply, but seems to confirm the $195 annual fee being waived and also the 50,000 bonus still being possible. I’d still be applying now if you’re interested in the card but more on that here.
Update: Looks like the card designs have been leaked. Hat tip to puns4life. I don’t really care about card design, but I know some readers do and I actually like the rose gold version.
According to a source familiar with the matter the following changes will becoming to the Premier Rewards Gold Card:
- Name will be changed to ‘American Express Gold Card’
- Card will be available in two different colors, Gold & Rose Gold. Both will be metal
- Sign up bonus will be 25,000 points after $2,000 in spend plus 20% back as a statement credit on purchases at U.S. Restaurants up to $100 back
- Annual fee will remain the same
- Other previously rumored benefits are accurate:
- $120 dining credit. This is a $10 monthly credit that can be used at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Shake Shack.
- Card will earn 4x points at U.S. Restaurants
- Card will earn 4x points at U.S. supermarkets, up to $25,000 in spend per calendar year
It’s currently possible to get a sign up bonus of 50,000 points after $1,000 in spend (although this is YMMV). It’s unclear if it will be possible to get 50,000 points + 20% back at U.S. restaurants via the same methods when the updated card launches. My gut feeling is that it won’t, so it might make sense to apply for the card now but it’s also possible that it will be available. It is expected that these changes will take place on October 4th or thereabouts.
Will this be treated as a new product (e.g can I get the bonus on this card if I’ve had it before)?
I very much doubt it, this is a product refresh/revamp with a new name and benefits rather than a new card. Existing cardholders will automatically receive the new benefits. This exact same situation happened with the Ascend card and it was not treated as a new card.
Will the other benefits be staying the same (e.g airline credits)?
If this will be the ‘Gold card’ does this mean the gold authorized users you add onto the American Express Platinum will earn 4x/4x as well?
Likely no, more information on why is found here.