Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $400
- Availability: Must reside in one of the following states to apply for the special offer: Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas
- Direct deposit required: Yes, at least $2,500+
- dditional requirements: See below
- Hard/soft pull: Soft pull
- ChexSystems: Yes
- Credit card funding: None
- Monthly fees: $8, avoidable
- Early account termination fee: $30, 90 days
- Household limit: None
- Expiration date: July 31, 2023
- UMB Bank is offering a $400 checking bonus when you open a new select or value checking account and complete the following requirements:
- Fund the account with the minimum opening deposit of $1,000 for UMB Select Checking or $100 for UMB Value Checking
- Have qualifying direct deposits totaling $2,500 or more post to the account within 60 days of account funding; and
- Account must remain open for at least 90 days after account funding.
The Fine Print
- All account applications are subject to approval.
- Valid only for new UMB Select Checking or UMB Value Checking accounts.
- Please read account descriptions carefully. To be eligible for this special offer, you must apply for your new UMB Select Checking or UMB Value Checking account via the Apply Now buttons on this page, or in-person at a UMB branch and complete the special offer requirements.
- You must present the mailer or mention this special offer when opening a new UMB Select Checking or UMB Value Checking account at a UMB branch.
- Customers who have previously applied for a personal checking account special offer are not eligible for this promotion.
- Accounts not funded by the last day of the first full month following account opening will be closed. You must reside in one of the following states to apply for the special offer: Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas. UMB associates are not eligible for this special offer. Special offer available one time per individual; for accounts with multiple owners, earned special offer will only be paid once. Earned special offer will be paid to the eligible UMB Select Checking or UMB Value Checking account within 30 days of meeting all applicable special offer requirements. Eligibility will be verified prior to paying out the $400.00 special offer. Earned special offer will be reported to the IRS as interest income. Fees and charges may reduce earnings on your account. Contact a UMB associate for more information. Special offer expires July 31, 2023.
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
This account has a $8 monthly fee. This is waived if you do any of the following:
- $1,500 average collected balance in this account
- $3,000 in combined deposit balances
- A single direct deposit of $250 or more
- Student, under the age of 25
Early Account Termination Fee
There is a $30 fee if closed within 90 days
Better than the previous bonus that was for $300. This is definitely worth doing if you live in an eligible area and we will add this to our list of the best bank account bonuses.
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times
P1 & P2 both got the $500 bonuses during 2021. We both applied again to try our luck again and approved instantly. TX resident. Credit Bureaus frozen and still got approved. We both selected NO to ID check. They asked basic security questions about your past addresses, employer, car colors etc., I think they’re not Chex sensitive. I am ~ 16/12, 24/24 on Chex enquiries (Not sure whether I am on high or mid range). P2 is not that active on Chex.
P1 – Denied. Filled my personal information manually and submitted, received review email first.
P2 – Approved. Followed ID upload method. Uploaded ID, took selfie, and them got review email first. Next business day, received a secure email asking for ID photo. Sent it. Its approved next day. Funded $100+ for value checking account.
Going to try ID method for P1 next month.
Update: Just following up from my previous comment. I got an initial denial online, but I decided to go in-branch after a month when I had time to go see if it would result in an approval. Suffice to say, I’m now a new owner of a UMB Value Checking account. Online applications bank account recently have given me non-instant approvals despite being near a bank branch on many occasions, but going in-person has not resulted in a denial. I think it might be due to banks tightening up ship with the advent of more real-time accurate data and the amount of checking accounts I had applied for may make their online raise a instant flag for stolen identity. I’ll see if the terms they had “not eligible for bonus if previously applied for a promotion or paid a bonus prior” is true in 3-months when my direct deposits hit and the promotion terms are sufficed.
This is so very true, it should deserve a separate thread. Banks are not approving anymore, increasingly, online – exception being big banks – even if you qualify for membership or are in their footprint if they see you have had many applications for accounts. They would open, however, an account, if you open it in person. This makes it practically a footprint or in-state bonus even though technically you would qualify otherwise. I suggest that you stick with banks which you can reach a branch at. This would be a cool-off period for us but also for banks so they can see if it is worthy to limit people to only their own footprint clients. Banks and CU-s have an incentive to increase numbers of membership to prove leadership is doing a good job and to put a net as big as possible to get potential clients to sign up for a loan or park money with them. We will see if this trend with bank accounts opening, which is turned to a credit card application with credit scores from Chex or EWS is going to be sustainable.
I see couple of folks opening the account even though they got the bonus in the past. I also got the bonus last time around 2 years back. The T&C clearly states that you should not have received the bonus in the past. Are the folks rolling the dice for luck?
More than likely, yes. There’s a few banks which don’t enforce those terms and still pay out. It’s worth a shot given the $ amount that can be paid with very little cash needing to be held at the bank (only $2,500 in direct deposits are needed to qualify for the promotion on a relatively fee-free account at which the minimum to waive the monthly fee is easy at a $250 direct deposit).
2nd data point – app went to in review – no action taken by me – 24 hours later a follow up email to proceed with my application/funding. This resulted in an approval.
5k dd from real employer.. no bonus yet
ACH from Desert Financial CU, which has successfully coded as direct deposit for about 10 out of 11 bank bonuses. Coded as “Credit – Check xxxxxxxx”
My paycheck direct deposit is also coded as credit – check xxxx.
Does it also include your name as well?
This is what is shows before you click for more details.
Mine from ally shows like this “First and Last Name- xxxxxxxx”
More details show the type as “Credit – Check xxxxxxxx”
Mine gives the name of my employer and some numbers. And then under type “Credit – check..”.
Was anyone asked to submit a signature card after opening the acct online? Or did you receive a request in the mail to do so? I haven’t, but I read in the below thread that UMB requires it to be submitted within 30 days of opening the acct, or they will close it. That could happen before the bonus is received. This thread is from 2020, so I’m not sure if it’s still the same, so wondering what you guys are doing about this.
I needed to go to the branch to complete the process of opening account and was not asked about a signature card.
5/22: Applied, got email that app was under review
5/22, about 15 minutes later: Declined, told to call or visit branch for more information
I called to see if they needed more information, they said something was “not correct or complete” in the identity information (everything I entered in was definitely right), but they couldn’t tell me what was wrong, so I could reapply or visit a branch. I’m 5 hours away from a branch so don’t know if I’ll pursue this now, but this is the second account in 3 months I’ve been declined for (haven’t applied for anything else so not sure about successes), so thinking something is up with my Chex account.
I’m 0/1, 2/6, 4/12 on Chex, but again, got denied from another local bank in April with no rationale and didn’t pursue.
5/4: Account opened. (after previously having received bonus 2 years ago)
5/10: $2,000+ Schwab Brokerage ACH
5/20: No bonus yet.
Looks like I’m in this one for the long-haul. When I first did this bonus in early 2021, they paid out within a week of my fake DD push. Subsequent DPs from late 2021-onwards however, suggest that they now wait the full 120 days before awarding the bonus, so I will be waiting at least that long. They have changed their website front-end/UI since I last had an account with them, so it’s possible they changed up these things on the back-end too at the same time.
It’s of course quite possible that I be denied anyway due to the anti-churn language, but it’ll be a few months before I know for sure.
its $2500 bro
Yikes. not sure how I managed to screw that up.
Will throw another 2,500 at it and report back if anything happens.
$2500 is the total, so you only need to throw $500 more at it to hit that
It’s $2500 in direct deposits, not $2000.
05/12: real payroll dd 7k+ and still no bonus. I guess we just need to sit and wait
Bulba First time getting a bonus with the bank or are you churning?
Any Updates? Also had a real DD hit today
What does your Schwab transfer look like?